South Beach In Sept - Hurricane Season? HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The girls and I are looking to go to South Beach for a long weekend in September for my bachelorette party. I've been told that I should consider looking elsewhere because it's hurrican season. We chose South Beach because we are all from NYC, making it a short flight and somewhat reasonable in price.

Should we take our chances? If so, any recommendations on a nice beach front hotel?

Thanks!!!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 05:17 PM
jenifer

You should take your chances if:

1) You investigate good travel insurance that will cover your costs in case of cancellation due to hurricane.

2) Won't be devastated if your trip is cancelled due to a hurricane.

If you feel that you'd really rather have a sure thing that is very unlikely to change, maybe pick a different destination (you can fly many places inexpensivel from NYC). But, if you can be flexible, there's no reason not to give it a try.

Congrats!

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 07:31 PM
GoTravel

jomo, hurricane season starts June 1st and ends December 1st however, there were three named storms after the end of hurricane season this year.

The areas affected with probability that they will be hit by a hurricane or typhoon (Pacific) are: entire East Coast, Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico, West Coast, South Pacific and the Pacific Rim.

Statistically since Miami had a direct hit in 1992 with Andrew, you have a higher chance of having a direct hit on New York City than you do in Miami.

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:07 PM

I don't think the issue here is actually having the trip being cancelled by an a hurricane or being caught in one. But through hurricane season (and September is statistically the worst month) you are highly likely to get the tail end of a storm that fizzled out, or be on the fringes of one that remains off the coast. I'd say your chances of having a lot of rain and possibly gloom are about 50/50. Meanwhile even if it no storms are near, you can still expect a few afternoon thundershowers (or downpours). They may cool off the hot and humid air, or they make just make it more humid.

On the other hand, if you're not getting your heart set on long days on the beach, but have restaurant and bar hopping in mind -- then go for it and have fun.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:44 PM

Just a thought, but September is the best month to go to the Hamptons. The annoying summer crowds are gone but the weather and ocean are still warm. If you already spend alot of time there during the summer, I can certainly understand wanting to "get away." But if you don't, I think you'd have a great time in East Hampton.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 12:20 PM

Take the gamble. We've done South Beach for Labor Day each of the past two years (taking advantage of great rates) and had about 3 hours of rain over both weekends. Did we get lucky? Of course. It is the height of the hurricane season, but the odds that a storm will strike a given location on 2 or 3 given days is still very low.