Sooo lost please help!

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sooo lost please help!

We want to go to hawaii for our honeymoon and are a bit overwelmed. There is so much to choose from. We are looking for a great beach where we can learn to surf. And we usually like to stay in the bigger resorts with a huge pool and lots of restaurants. And we like to do lots of excursions. Does anyone have any suggestions on what island to go to and what hotels to check out. Help is much appreciated.

ps. we like a good nightlife also! we are in our early twenties!
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:29 PM

Perhaps the Big Island of Hawaii for beaches and surfing. Great night life in Mexico, but I don't know about the surfing. It's not what they are famous for. Tough problem, though, eh?
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:35 PM

Type in Which Island in the search box at top of page for help.
Debi
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:44 AM

I would suggest Waikiki for at least part of your trip - it has everything you have asked for! It is a great place to learn to surf - there are lots of other beginners so it is not very intimating. Also plenty of hotels to choose from, restaurants and nightlife! And also can be a good place to explore the rest of Oahu from.

I went there with my bf a couple of years ago (we are mid/late twenties) and had a great time learning to surf, exploring Oahu (snorkelling Hanuama Bay, drive to North Shore, hiking Diamond Head) We loved it so much we are going back there for our honeymoon next year! We are pairing a week there with Kauai for a quieter, more romantic second week.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:55 AM

Hi there. Nightlife is only on Oahu (honolulu, waikiki, northshore). Dont listen to anyone say it is not gorgeous as the rest. Best of both worlds..nightlife and plenty of great beaches. Stay at the Hilton Village (big and crowded, but cool pool) or the Outrigger Beach (the one with Dukes in it) which is tons of fun, right in the middle of everything, on the beach, Dukes is always fun, especially on Sunday and across for the int. market, na hoku catamaran out front, etc... Sheraton Moana Surfrider is super nice as well, great pool area, a little more than the other, but worth it for sure. If you want a resort resort (none in waikii have super big pools) scoot up to turtle bay resort on the north shore for a night or two or go over to maui and spend a day or two in kaanapali/lahaina. It is worth doing both.

The big island is cool, but no beaches and barely any surfing. Would be my last choice.

Nightlife in Oahu...depending on your likes...dukes, mai tai bar at Ala Moana Shopping Center, Fashion 45, Kelly O Neils, Lulus, Magoos on Univeristy, check out www.skylinetoo.com to see what parties are going off (always fun) every other sunday is a pool party at the sheraton, nu'uanu ave. in downtown (indigos for sure, bar 35, murphys, otooles) where the people who live here go.

Let me know what esle you might need. I live here. Was looking up stuff for a upcoming trip so checked out what people were saying about Hawaii.

Same age as you....well, almost!
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 04:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I second Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu. It is a large resort hotel. (very nice) We just stayed there last spring. Oahu has nightlife and lots to see and do. You can also learn how to surf on Waikiki beach.
If you have the time, go to the other Hilton on the Big Island. This is a huge resort and we loved it! There is a beach nearby that has the best boogie boarding waves. I can't think of it off the top of my head but it is about a 10 min drive north. There is also great snorkeling and huge turtles that swim right by you.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 06:27 AM

I would choose Oahu. Honolulu is easiest to get flights in/out of. Waikiki has loads of things to see and do. Great beach, great nightlife, lots of huge resorts, plenty of excurions. Day-trip up to the North Shore for the famous surfing spots.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 08:58 AM

I would choose Oahu. It seems to fit everything you have said you wanted.

Waikiki has a great beach and there are surfing schools right there. There are some extremely nice hotels in Honolulu/Waikiki, with more restaurants and nightlife than you could do in one vacation. Also many world class shops within a very short distance from there, as well as many activities being just a short distance from Waikiki.

Sounds like Waikiki would probably be your best bet.

David
www.HowToDoHawaii.com
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 09:28 AM

Yeah, Waikiki sounds like the place for you. While many folks put down Oahu in general and Waikiki in particular as being too hectic and crowded, the fact is, that the location is beautiful and there is tons and tons of stuff to do. These folks tend to sometimes forget that a trip to Waikiki is an URBAN vacation - similar in many respects to going to Miami, Rio and other similar locations. Of course, it's not going to be a quiet destination, and you certainly won't have the beach to yourselves - but on the other hand, you have a great selection of fine restaurants (far more than you'll have time to sample) and lots of nightlife - and if you decide you want some "quiet time", you can always rent a car and head off to the windward or northshore areas for the day. Though the Honolulu area (where Waikiki lies) is very developed, much of the island is fairly quiet.

Ken
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 03:29 PM

I go to Waikiki every year for 3 weeks, and absolutely love it. We are "urban tourist" who seek out a combo of lots or urban activities along with access to a beautiful environment.

I cannot think of a better place in this world than Waikiki.....plenty to do, but the moment you get to your hotel and beachfront...it changes to paradise, and you do not hear the traffic or bustling city at all!

Within 20 minutes drive, you are out in the middle of the most beautiful country side you have ever experienced....you will find yourself stopping every mile to take a picture in disbelief of the beauty.

And while I agree with the comparisons with Rio and Miami...the one difference that I would point out is the absolutely spotless clean downtown...clean shops, and polite people which truly sets it apart from the rest of the world.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 03:51 PM

Hilton Hawaiian Village, I would suggest also.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 04:06 PM

Aloha niene! Congratulations!!!

Def O'ahu!!! Wonderful island!! Much to do. I love spending time in Waikiki and then heading up to the north shore to chill.

Here's a great ole' thread to enjoy:

http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....1&tid=34515901

When will you be going??

Aloha and happy planning!!!
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 05:21 PM

I like all the islands but for some of everything to include nightlife, good beaches, good hotels, shopping, and plenty of great scenery once you get out of Waikiki then Oahu would be my choice.

Yes it is full of tourists..just like you so if you can find time to tour other parts of the island you won't be disappointed IMO.

I disagree that the Big Island doesn't have any beaches. There are plenty of them BUT some of them are rocky and not the best for swimming so you really have to know which ones to go to.