Oahu accommodations- luxury, beach-front, romantic

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby and I want a second honeymoon in Oahu. Never been but we are looking for a nice beachfront hotel with a great pool. We don't mind paying for luxury. Want a location anywhere that has a great beach, close to snorkeling, quiet, close to some good restaurants and a little nightlife. We are young professionals that need some relaxation time around nature. Close to waterfalls and hikes would be nice. Don't want to drive too far around to get to places.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM

Does it have to be Oahu? There are some really nice hotels in Waikiki, but Waikiki is not what you would call quiet. The hotels are one after the other along the beach, along the road that fronts the beach, etc. Busy (not bad, but you said you wanted quiet). You'd be much more likely to be able to get a quiet luxury hotel on the beach in Maui. But then they'd probably be lacking in nightlife.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 04:02 PM

I don't think that resort exists with everything you want.

Oahu has the best food and entertainment. It also has shopping, crowds and traffic. Waikiki beach is OK but there are some very nice beaches around the island

I suggest that you look at the St. Regis on Kauai. Nice beach, good snorkeling. Excellent views and nice pool. Close to incredible hikes and super beaches. Food on Kauai is just ok.

Also look at Four Season on the Big Island. Beaches close by. Four nice pools. Good snorkeling nearby, a beautiful location. Maybe the best food on the island. Some say it is the finest resort in the Islands.

My favorite is Kona Village Resort next door to the Four Season on the Big Island, but it maybe too quiet for this trip.

Bill
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 04:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I also can't think of anything that fits what you describe on Oahu.

For nightlife, good restaurants, great beach... that's in Waikiki. But even the high-end luxury hotels (Halekulani or Royal Hawaiian are the two highest rated) aren't known for having "great pools" it's just not a reall a Waikiki thing. Most pools are small and simple.

The only fancy pool areas are at Hilton Hawaiian Village or the Sheraton which are most definitely not secluded or luxury properties.

Basically you would need to drive our around the island to get to hiking, waterfalls, and nature. It's not all that large, but you would need to be willing to drive some distance.

The other option would be staying somewhere more isolated, and outside the city, but then you'd be driving IN for restaurants and nightlife.

Honestly I while I personally *adore* Oahu, it really just doesn't fit what you're describing that you want.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 04:50 PM

Your description sounds like Maui to me more than Waikiki. The Hyatt and The Westin both have very nice pools and are on or close to a long stretch of Kaanapali Beach ( although the beach in front of The Hyatt sometimes disappears at high tide). There's great snorkeling down the beach in front of the Sheraton Maui at Black Rock, and plenty of entertainment/dining options both in Kaanapali and Lahaina.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

You are right in seeing that we need another island other than Oahu. But we are to go there for a wedding and to try the island out. We loved Maui and Kauai, and didn't like the Big Island as much. We are aching to go back to Maui but need to give Oahu a shot. We'll change our way of thinking and get on board with more hustle and bustle. Thank you!
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 05:29 PM

Royal Hawaiian and snorkel at Hanauma bay.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 06:05 PM

Well, then since you're going to be on Oahu, consider that the pool at the Halekulani is small but gorgeous (a mosaic tile bottom that is just beautiful). No slides or swim-up bars or anything like that, but it's really really nice.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 06:55 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I haven't stayed there, but friends have and the first thing that popped in my mind was the Halekulani also -
http://www.halekulani.com/

Get up early one morning and drive to Hanauma Bay to snorkel.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:00 PM

Actually, the Jalouise on St Lucia is exactly what you describe...
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:07 PM

http://www.jalousieplantation.com/Co...entCT.asp?P=87

Spectacular location. Romantic villas with private plunge pools. Walk off the beach into the water for amazing snorkeling. Take a water taxi to the other side of one of the Pitons for amazing snorkeling at the black sand beach at Anse Chastenet. Dining/ nightlife options on site or nearby. Hiking and nature right outside the door. Beautiful pool and white sand beach in the most amazing location - nestled between the two Pitons (triangular mountains). We always split out time with Ladera at the top of the ridge with a gorgeous, infinity pool.

Yep. Switch directions to St Lucia and you'll have everything you described at one location.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 05:27 AM

If it has to be Oahu, the Halekalani and Royal Hawaiian are top drawer. However, snorkeling on Oahu is not that great. I would skip Hahnauma Bay. It pretty from the road but too abused and not the best fish.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 06:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Waikiki, and if you go in with an open heart & mind, hopefully you will too. There's so much to see and do on Oahu. It's different than hiking in nature certainly, but the Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, ShangriLa estate, there are so many treasures in and around Honolulu.

Halekulani, Royal Hawaiian, and Moana Surfrider are are worth a look. Or even someplace like the Hyatt in a top floor or suite or something more than a regular room?

I'll give you my 2 cent philosophy for this kind of situation, rather than go in with such a specific list in mind (that doesn't really exist in the destination you're going to -lol!) research Oahu, and find things that ARE there that sound interesting to you.

Definitely renting a car for the island circle drive to more isolated beaches sounds like something you'd like. Maybe even an overnight up at the North Shore?
aloha, suze
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 09:09 AM

Maybe the Kahala hotel. It's not right in Waikiki (and therefore much quieter), about a 10 minute drive away, located next to the Waialae Country Club in a residential area.

It's beachfront and the pool is ok, but not huge.