Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Got our trip to Maui planned...now Oahu....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell me the top 10 things we should do in Oahu.....2 50 year olds and 2 in their 20's.....like active things...plus sightseeing...We are staying at Ihilani...
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 03:23 PM
len

We spent 10 days this summer and had a blast, here are some favorites:
1. Climp Diamondhead...about a mile but the view is one in a million, bring a flashlight, water and avoid mid day.
2. Catch Don Ho's show... he is a legend and captures the Hawaii spirit
3. Snorkel at the Huanami (sp?) Bay refuge.. its about 10 minutes from Waikiki. Its only a few feet deep but contains more species and colors than any other site.
4. USS Arizona
5. rent a convertible...you will be glad you spent the extra few bucks
There are lots of other things but these are our favorites have fun!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 04:10 PM

We stayed at that resort last June and loved it. While there, be sure to make reservations for Azul. It was one of our best meals on Oahu. There is also a good restaurant across the little local street at the golf course. I believe it is called Niblick's, but not positive about that.

We spent one day circling the southern loop of the island, and checked out the beaches. Most were almost empty. Plan that for a weekday, when the locals are working, and you'll have the beaches almost to yourself.

We also did a loop of the north part of the island, including the Dole plantation, the north shore beaches,which were gorgeous, and the Byoto In Temple [I may have misspelled that - it's been a while since we were there], but it's a beautiful 100 year old replica of a 900 year old temple in Japan, and the grounds surrounding it are beautiful, and the veiws from there are breathtaking.

Pearl Harbor is very moving, but also very crowded. Get there early, and don't carry anything in with you, inlcuding pocketbooks.

The flea market at Aloha stadium was fun going through, and we got some interesting things there. Several locals recommended that, and we were glad we got there.

Enjoy your stay. It's a beautiful place.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good info on Oahu....so did you like Ihilani alot?? I think it looks beautiful!! I am glad it is not in Honolulu! Did you play golf there??
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 03:09 PM

We loved Ko Olina! It is a wonderful resort. I would be amazed if you don't feel the same. The beach in front is man made, but so was Waikiki, and because of it, there is no fear of hitting unseen jagged lava, as in some other parts of the islands. We loved swimming there.

There is a chapel off to the side, and while there, we witnessed several weddings out front. One of them released paper birds, which took off into the sky. Apparently it has to do with luck for the new couple. There are several beaches in a row, and we walked along them. The further down, the more deserted.

By the way, we are close in age. We are in our mid fifties. We had no kids along for this trip. Maybe the place would be a bit on the quiet side for them.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

are there any good sunset cruises on Oahu?? Not dinner ones...
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 01:47 PM

Here's my list of some of my favorite things to do on Oahu.
1) Climb to top of Diamond Head. Definitely bring a flashlight. I bought one for a couple of bucks at one of the ABC stores.
2) Spend the day at Hanauma Bay. Great for snorkling, beautiful beach and view. Don't forget the underwater camera.
3) If you are into history, visit the Bishop's Museum. Lots of stuff from when Hawaii was ruled by a monarch.
4) A trip to Oahu wouldn't be complete without a trip to Pearl Harbor. While there, don't miss the Bowfin and USS Missouri.
5) Go to a luau. I thought it would be really cheezy, but I had a good time. We went to the Germaine Luau, right on the beach.
6) Rent a car and drive around the island. Stop at Waimea Falls and see the cliff divers. Look for coupons in the many discount books. While there in December, the waves at North Shore were huge!
7) Take a boat ride at Waikiki.
8) Eat lots of fresh fish and seafood!!!
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 01:49 PM

I almost forgot the favorite thing that I did while on Oahu. I took a half-day eco-walking tour through the rainforest. We also stopped off at Pali lookout. It was wonderful to get away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 03:29 PM

Regarding the Pali Lookout, it is a beautiful spot, and very easy to do on your own, no tour necessary. It can be conveniently worked in during a loop around the island. We worked this stop in the same time we headed to Byoto In Temple. I couldn't remember the name of the spot, or I would have mentioned it in my earlier post.