Sonoma Valley in 1 Day

Search

Sonoma Valley in 1 Day

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonoma Valley in 1 Day

I'm going to Sonoma Valley for just a day next week. Give me some suggestions. Would want to see 2 wineries and then take in the great outdoors.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:17 PM
rasnes5

Ahhh, perhaps my tried and true suggestion can help you decide on both wineries and vistas:www.wineroad.com Any paticular varieltels of interest? Welcome to my backyard!
R5

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

i saw that link which you must have posted to another message and also went to winecountry.com. I think we'd like to go to one good winery and maybe a champagne distiller. We enjoy wine but are not connoseiurs by any means. I'd like to hit a winery that has good scenery and much more than just a tour and wine tasting.

I'm thinking an early brunch "picnic" is an order and a late lunch for under $50 for 2 are in order. Any advice on where to eat inexpensively?
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:38 AM

Go to Viansa (one of the first wineries you will see in Sonoma). They have an "Italian Marketplace" where you can sample delicious (although overpriced) sauces and dips). In Sonoma Square there is the cheese factory which makes good deli sandwiches--you can walk right across the street and eat in the square.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 10:55 AM
rasnes5

As a native, I find Viansa rather touristy (buses,etc)and it is the opposite end of the valley from the Russian River area.
J. might be your bet for bubbly and
then over to the Westside road to Rosahmbo (what a spectacular drive along the river( If you want to stay near the town of Sonoma-Gloria-Ferrar has a great view,Ravenswood is good fun, also Gundlach-Bunschu and Benziger over in Glen Elen will put you in the grapes-I'm not clear on what you mean by more tha just a tour? If it is scenary-follow the wine road IMO-although the Valley is a close 2nd!Let us know what you decide!
R5

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 11:47 AM

I could've spent the whole afternoon on the Gloria Ferrar veranda. The views are awesome. They had several varieties of sparkling wine if I remember and a few low key appetizers available. Although nothing fancy, I found my favorite wine at S. Anderson. Would also recommend Valley of the Moon and Cohn.