Search

Soniat House

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2002, 06:10 AM
AD

Soniat House

Hi -

I'm planning a short trip to New Orleans in early June and thinking of staying at the Soniat House. Are there any particular rooms I should request? I'm willing to spend a little more if it's worth it . . .

also, I read somewhere that there's a cat who shows up in guest rooms now and then - is this true? (I'm violently allergic so I'd have to book elsewhere - it wouldn't be much of a romantic weekend if I had an asthma attack!)

Thanks..
-AD

Old May 13th, 2002, 04:39 PM
kim

I stayed at the Soniat house awhile back. However this is what I remember. The rooms are very different. I would make sure you are getting one of the nicer ones. Some are fairly small. I don't think I would want one with windows on the street. Do not know about the cat, did not see one.

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:23 PM
AD

Kim - thanks for the tip, and for answering! They told me they gave me one of their "popular" rooms, on the 2nd floor with a shared balcony onto the street . . . wish there were a photo of it on the site. I'll ask about the noise level and space. Maybe I'll try to upgrade to a suite, if the summer rates are affordable . .
Thanks again.
-AD

Old May 15th, 2002, 05:17 AM
X

Two years ago they did have a cat. It was a really sweet cat, but if you're allergic, that doesn't make it any nicer for you. I never saw it go in any rooms, but it was apt to nap in the foyer and courtyard.

We didn't have a room on the street but we did spend a couple of evenings sittin on a balcony. The most noise I remember was from the horse-drawn carriages. We were there Easter Weekend.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:39 PM
AD

Just wanted to give the report. We loved NO and Soniat House was beautiful - great location, convenient and quiet, and the people very helpful and friendly. They changed our room from the main house, which is where the cat hangs out, to one across the street. It was large, on the first floor, and under the gate/carriage way, which made it extremely dark. That was the only drawback, however. I would try SH again, but would make sure to ask for a room with some light!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 12:23 AM
x

Good to hear that SH is holding up and still deserves kudos. Do they now have another building across Chartres Street? Or did you mean across the courtyard?

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Cathy

Hi all- just wanted to add a note about the cat at the Soniat House. Her name is Clarisse, and she is very sweet. My husband and I have stayed there twice (in the main house- 2 different suites) and she visited us in our room in both suites. The rooms across the street are across the street (Chartres), not across the courtyard. I think Clarisse doesn't venture over there.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Cathy

Hi all- just wanted to add a note about the cat at the Soniat House. Her name is Clarisse, and she is very sweet. My husband and I have stayed there twice (in the main house- 2 different suites) and she visited us in our room in both suites. The rooms across the street are across the street (Chartres), not across the courtyard. I think Clarisse doesn't venture over there.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:36 PM
x

Okay, Cathy, why post the same message twice? Especially an hour apart!!!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Cathy

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Cathy

Sorry, not an idiot actually, and not obsessed with the cat either. For whatever reason, my browser was still pointed to something that caused a double posting.

If that is not a good enough explanation, please contact micr*soft