Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Somewhere to eat near Yankee Stadium (or on the way)

Jun 25th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Any suggestions on where to eat near or on the way to Yankee Stadium. We are going to a 7:05 game on Friday night. Also, what time should we leave to go to the game?? We are staying at the Waldorf Astoria.
Jun 25th, 2007, 10:47 AM

There really isn't anywhere near the stadium that I would really consider "food". It's all fast food, pizza, McDonalds, and a few pubs immeidately adjecent to the stadium.

In the stadium you can get some food, hotdogs, chicken tenders, fries, again fastish food (the lines are long so it's really not fast, lol).

If you want to eat before the game there are restaurants near the Waldorf on Lex and 3rd and inbetween the avenues that you might want to stop at on your way to the stadium for an early dinner.

It's going to take about 45 minutes to get to the stadium, but you might want to get there early to see Monument Park.

The 4 train (express) will take you to the stadium on the Lex Ave subway line, but it will be CROWDED lots of people take the subway from there. If the crowds are too much, you might walk across the 155th St bridge and take the C train downtown and walk from 50th St east to the Waldorf.

Hope this helps.
Jun 25th, 2007, 11:02 AM

You can take food into the stadium from the outside if you carry it in a clear, plastic bag. We like to bring sandwiches or hot heros with us to the game.
Jun 25th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Isn't that pizza place (Grimbadli's sp?) in the Bronx... is that something we can eat on the way there??
Jun 25th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Grimaldi's is in Brooklyn, the Stadium is in the Bronx. I'd just eat at Yankee Stadium, they have a decent selection of food. Not fancy, but it's all about the ballgame experience.
Jun 25th, 2007, 11:57 AM

I agree with Travelbuff -- there isn't really much to eat around Yankee Stadium. The offerings in the stadium are typically ballgame fare. They are overpriced and not particularly good.

Why not have dinner in the food court at Grand Central before you get on the 4 train? They have lots of local restaurants, including a couple with waitress service.
Jun 25th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Great idea about eating at the food court. Two Boots has table service if you want pizza (and itís pretty good). Thereís also a Sbarro not far from where you are staying and that would be quick and easy. Iíd save a little room for a hot dog Ė I donít usually like them but I love one at the stadium. The food and drinks in the stadium are going to be very expensive.
Jun 25th, 2007, 03:07 PM

I was just thinking if you want to get away from the crowds after the game there is a very good restaurant not far from the stadium, you can walk across the 155th St Bridge and walk down St. Nicholas Place to 145th St to Baton Rouge, a very good and new cajun place some nights with live music.

Or take the B or D train and get off at 145th and walk up the hill, the restaurant will be on your left between Convent and Amsterdam Aves.
Jun 25th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Stan's Sports Bar is across the street from the stadium and fills with fans. I hear burgers are not bad. The food in the stadium is passable. One idea is eating a late lunch and grabbing a light super after the game.
Jun 25th, 2007, 04:28 PM

Would not reco eating near the Stadium - either do the late lunch and late dinner - or just eat the Stadium food. If you do the latter get the food as soon as you get there before the lines are huge. Check the web site and it will show you what is sold where versus your ticket location.

From midtown the subway will take about 30 minutes - but you should really get there as early as possible because

- security is strict (no large bags and they search purses) so it can take a long time to get inside

- if you get there early you can watch batting practice or playing catch before the game

- if you go extra early you can see Monument Park (but it closes 45 minutes before game time - check the web site to see how early you have to get thre to get in) - with memorials to Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio and all the other Yankee greats as well as the retired numbers

Also - look for the signs for the 26 World Championships and the 39 American League Championships
Jun 27th, 2007, 04:03 AM

The Feeding Tree on Gerard Avenue is a West Indian place that is very popular with stadium go-ers. We have eaten there a few times and while it is not fancy, it is not a dive, either. The people are very friendly and they have very good jerk and stewed chicken, great fresh juices, and a host of other Caribbean-inspired fare for pretty low prices. It has received a few favorable reviews in the New York Times.

We often eat first in the Arthur Avenue area but the places here are very crowded on game days and access from there to the stadium is more problematic by public transportation. (We eat there first only if we are driving).
Jun 27th, 2007, 05:23 AM

Try the Yankee Pitchers' Cafe. It's always open because the proprietors don't know the meaning of the word "strike."
Jun 27th, 2007, 07:06 AM

I would not recommend eating at Stan's. It will be shoulder-to-shoulder, 7 deep at the bar, prior to the game. The floor is always covered in about an inch of beer. It is a fine dive for a beer before the game, but not somewhere I'd try to get a bite.