somewhere special, san francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in san francisco in February and March. I have been there before and have done all the wonderful tourist things. Im looking for maybe something new or a cool hang out spot for a cocktail that someone reccomends. Any Ideas? any top jazz clubs?
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 10:15 AM

Yoshi's in Jack London Square across the bay in Oakland is a great night out for a evening of jazz.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Google "Lavay Smith and her Red Hot Skillet Lickers" and see if they are playing in town when you will be there. They are THE BEST!
I personally love having a cocktail at The Top of the Mark Hopkins Hotel. It might not be the coolest place but its so special and the view is to die for.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 05:03 PM

Hi serettebean, bookmark the SF Chronicals website which is www.sfgate.com.

Every Thursday they have their 96 hour section with all kinds of fun suggestions as to what to do in SF and the Bay Area.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 08:13 PM
TahitiTams

Lefty O'Doul's on Geary across from the St. Francis Hotel in Union Square is so old school from the early 1900's and they have a wonderful Piano Bar sing along that is wonderful to have a couple of drinks and hang out..
The bar at the St. Francis is lovely too to listen to live music in an elegant surrounding.

Old Dec 28th, 2006, 10:23 PM

We liked Biscuits and Blues, near Union Square. I think you'd want to find out who's playing first.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 07:56 AM

FYI,
Lavay Smith is a frequent performer at Biscuits and Blues.

If you've never caught a show at the Fillmore, choose something that appeals to you and go. The upstairs cafe has "wallpaper" consisting of EVERY Fillmore poster ever printed - you could spend hours just looking.

Check out the various wine bars that have flourished in this wine-loving city. My favorite these days is The Hidden Vine. It's hidden, all right - it's on Cosmo Place, a hard-to-find alley tucked away on the fringes of Union Square. Ask someone where Le Colonial restuarant (on the site of the old Trader Vic's) is, and you will be right across the alleyway from Hidden Vine. Once inside, it's cozy and intimate and the offerings are definitely off the standard. The wine flights are imaginative and well priced - I had three tastes of southern Rhone varietals for $10 last time.

Take a stroll down 18th Street starting at Church and then turn right on Valencia and continue walking as you wish. You will be in the heart of Mission District cool - going by Tartine Bakery and all the restaurants and one-of-a-kind stores on Valencia. Have coffee at any number of places on the way - my vote always goes to Ritual Roasters (the one with the sign resembling a hammer and sickle out front).

That's my two cents - enjoy!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Hi dovima, I didn't know about the Hidden Vine..good information! Thanks. And Happy New Year to you and yours.