Solo Trip to NYC - Here I goOOoOOOoo!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in NYC this Friday the 15th thru Monday the 18th.
It's my first time out there..and I'm going ALONE!! YAY!!
Here's what I have planned..let me know what you guys think!

Friday - arrival 12:30pm
Check In @ the Doubletree Metropolitan and settle in
Grab a bite to eat.
Check out Empire State Building - Radio City Music Hall
Walk to Rockefeller Center - Top of the Rock for the sunset
Dinner
Times Square @ Night
Party @ Water Taxi Beach

Saturday -
Stock Exchange/Wall Street
Brooklyn Bridge
Statue of Liberty
Ground Zero
Shopping in the Lower East Side
Broadway show - mama mia
Party @ Pacha and Afterhours @ Club Shelter

Sunday -
Central Park
Nat. History Museum
the Met
NY Library
5th avenue Stores
Anything else I missed??
Party @ 718 sessions and Sullivan Room

Monday -
Probably catch lunch somewhere..maybe see one sight i missed...
Leave the hotel at 2:30 for my 5pm flight.

Any input?

Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Sunday looks kinda busy.
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:39 PM

I would not go both the Empire State Building and Top Of the Rock

Wall Street on Saturday is filled with just tourists. Be sure to go Trinity Church across the Street, Robert Fulton and Alexander Hamilton are buried in there.

You can wave to the buildings as you pass them on Sudnay.
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:44 PM

Sunday looks completely unreasonable. I did the Natural History Museum and Central Park in 1 day last year without seeing everything. Are you going to be running the whole time?
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

I don't think i'm going into the empire state building. i just want to see it from the outside to say i was there!

Good deal on the Trinity Church!
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:57 PM

Also you might consider that Saturday is the Sabbath for Jews and some of the shops on the LES may be closed on Saturday.

You are also doing a lot of partying. Nothing wrong with that, but if you are going to be up all night, you might want to temper your expectations for daytime activities.

for friday night you mention times square at night, don't forget you will be in the area on Saturday for Mama Mia. So no need to schedule it twice.

You might want to do a museum on Friday rather than wait until Monday as the only museum that's open on Monday is the natural history museum.

also I don't think the NY library will be open on a Sunday. I know the branch libraries aren't so why would the main library be?

What airport are you flying into and out of and how are you getting there that it you are allowing 2 1/2 hours to get there?
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

I'm flying out of JFK...
Flight leaves at 5pm.
So..I should get there by 3:30..
Leave the hotel at 2:30..to get there in time?

Moma has free admission on Friday nights...maybe i should hit that up instead of times square...or maybe i'll do the library on friday..
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Can I just say that I LOVE that you are going solo - for me, that is the only way to have a real vacation (if you know what I mean ;-) ) With that though, I want to remind you to be careful. I don't want to sound like your Mom (Besides, I'm only mid 30's myself) but us solo travelers need to look out for each other ... Since you plan to be out a lot at night, please make sure someone at home knows where you are at all times. Please. It is so much better to plan ahead than become a news story.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

^ i totally agree..
i've given my itinerary and all of my info to my parents and my boyfriend..

this is the first i'm going on a trip..alone..to a city i've never been to!
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:47 PM

I'm glad!
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Just read here that the Water Taxi beach doesn't open until Memorial Day weekend. I think I would call/doublecheck to make sure the beach is open. I wasn't sure from what I read as to the exact details.

http://www.newyorkology.com/index.php
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:07 AM

I'd make a few changes....

Leave out the Empire State Building, as you will have a beautiful view of it from Rockerfeller Center. And it doesn't look like much of anything up close.

Saturday looks great. One of the nicest views from downtown, I think, is from the middle of the Manhattan Bridge. As you walk across that bridge, you have a magnificent view of the Brooklyn Bridge. Just be sure to walk on the pedestrian side, not on the bicycle side. New York City cyclists don't play! Downtown will be more or less empty, but that' ok. I'm sure you mostly want to say you've been there. I'd add a brief stop by St. Paul's Chapel near the World Trade Center site and a bit of shopping at Century 21, which is right there.

I'd make some decisions about Sunday. That looks like too much to me. Good idea to go to the Met on Friday night. If the weather is pretty, go to Central Park for a while. If not, go the one of the museums. The library (http://www.nypl.org/research/chss/) is currently open on Sunday, 1-5. I'd just go by and maybe spend a few minutes in Bryant Park behind the library--unless you're a librarian or researcher, in which case, allow at least a couple of hours.

Going to the Statue of Liberty takes a LONG time. You might just walk down to Battery Park and see it. You can also take the Staten Island Ferry to Staten Island and get a good view, without paying a lot or waiting a long time.

Enjoy this city. I visited many times, often alone, before I decided to just move here!
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Just a word about Sunday - There will be more than several thousand people doing an Aids walk in Central Park.
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM

The Doubletree Metropolitan is in a great spot. Right outside your door is the subway (6 train), and also the Cafe' Metro which is a great place for a cheap breakfast (hot or juice and fruit) while sitting and watching the crowd and seeing one of my favorite buildings right across the street (the General Electric Building, originally the RCA Victor Building). I think they are open very late also in case you skip a meal, and want to grab something right at your hotel, they have great sandwiches, salads and fresh made to order pastas. I love that area of the city to stay in. Have a wonderful trip, and remember you won't be able to see it all, and that's O.K., since you'll be planning your next visit back before you even think of leaving!