Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Favorite NYC neighborhoods....your opinions please...

May 22nd, 2005, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

We are going on a "girls trip" to NYC this summer...5 of us, all very different, but we get along quite well (or else there would be no trip I suppose!).

Anyways, just looking for some opinions about your favorite NYC neighbourhoods, and more specific places as well to visit.

There really is so much to do. I think that we will stay together for most of the time, perhaps shopping and lunch in Soho and Nolita, a few musuems, and then split up the rest of the time...some want a foodie tour, the other is a phototgrapher and will go off and do her thing, etc.

Just looking to see what everyone likes...and why.

Thanks.
May 22nd, 2005, 10:52 AM

We live on Long Island and for our occasional trip into NYC, we like to do "themes." We spent one whole weekend near Brooklyn Bridge, walking across it and back, having dinner nearby and concentrating on the whole East Side area, Katz Deli, etc.

Central Park, especially the Zoo cannot be beat. It has the best of what you want to see in a Zoo, polar bears and penguins among the top attractions. Every area is special and great for photography enthusiasts, from the unique architectural elements throughout the Park to the people (and their dogs).

The best thing about NYC is that it is ever changing and you never know what's around the corner to intrigue and surprise you. We find the off the beaten path places the best.
May 22nd, 2005, 11:12 AM

SOho can't be beat for its diversity. The galleries offer something of the artsy side, Dean and Delucas is heaven for your foodies and the shopping goes from antiques to street vendors to high end. The outdoor cafes and restaurants offer great people watching for all-enjoy!
May 22nd, 2005, 11:46 AM

Well - I'm partial to the upper west side - not so trendy - but IMHO the real New York. Incredibly diverse, lots of great dining (including Zabars), Museums (Nat Hist, Planetarium, NY Historical Society, American Folk Art Museum - and the Cloisters if you want to stretch it a little) and tons of cafes for wonderful people watching - as well as Central Park and Riverside Park/the Hudson.
May 22nd, 2005, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses so far...

I love reading about what people love about NYC...everyone has their own favs and it is great to read about each and every one.

I am probably going to go solo on a Fri aft to either the Frick or the Whitney, or both, if I can make it. If I get to do only one of these, which one should I do? I love modern art, hence the Whitney may be better, but I was recently at the MoMA so perhaps the Frick?

Also, one of the girls thinks that it would be a good idea for us to get the 2-day pass for the hop on/hop off bus. I am not so sure. While it may save us on cab fares around the city, I am worried that we may be waiting too long for the buses to arrive at our stops....Has anyone done this recently?
May 22nd, 2005, 12:49 PM

New York City (particularly Manhattan) is blessed with many amazing neighborhoods -- just about all of them are "favorites" and worth a visit.

For visitors, obviously midtown and Central Park (and the museums that ring it) are must-sees. Otherwise, visit areas that suit your personal tastes and desires.

High-end shopping? Madison Ave on the UES and West Broadway in SoHo.

Eclectic, "hip" bars & restaurants? East Village & Alphabet City.

Quaint "old world" New York? West Village (e.g., Cornelia Street).

History? Downtown, Wall Street.

Italian? Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.

Enjoy!

May 22nd, 2005, 12:51 PM

I live in SoHo but do most of my socializing and dining in the West Village.
Lots of pretty streets and homes. The cafés are great and lots of celeb sightings. Also, a lot of Sex And The City landmarks the ladies tend to enjoy.
May 22nd, 2005, 05:07 PM

I don;t think you can really apprecite NYC from the top of a bus. It;s much better to get out into the streets - and get the real atmosphere. And use whatever transit you need at the moment - not wait for some tour.

The subway is much faster - and even the local bus is more convenient - since there' s one every few minutes in the daytime.