Search

Motels - help and advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motels - help and advice needed!

Hi there,

We're English and are coming to California next week for the first time - as such we've got several really simple questions about motels that hopefully you'll be able to help us with!

Can someone explain the differences in quality and price of the main motel chains?

Which would you recommend? We don't care about luxury or facilities, we just need clean, safe with a bed! (we'd rather spend our money on other stuff!)

Is there a big price difference between booking in advance and just turning up?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:24 AM

Generally speaking, the more expensive, the nicer and cleaner the motel will be. I often stay at the Hampton Inns since I travel with my job, and they are really nice, but they are usually $100 a night. If you are looking for less expsnsive with just a bed, try La Quinta, Comfort Inn, or Days Inn. Super 8 and Motel 6 are usually OK, but I have stayed in some of these that were not clean, and they do not include breakfast with the room. I generally stay away from the small, independent motels UNLESS they have good recommendations on TripAdvisor.

You REALLY need to make reservations in advance, even if it is just one day ahead. You don't want to pull into a small town at 7 PM on a Saturday night only to discover that the annual festival is going on, and everything for 50 miles is totally sold out! Also, hotels have a "rack rate" price that is what they give someone who just walks in, but they often give good discounts for booking online. Will you be traveling with a laptop? If so, that is the easiest way to do it. If not, then pick up a copy of the chain's directory book and call ahead.

Also, it might help you to join the hotel chain's frequent guest program in advance (online) and try to stay in that chain's hotels all through your trip. You'll get extra things, such as a free breakfast, and you may even accumulate enough points to get a free night's stay!
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:13 AM
cd

adania
Where in Califormia? There are areas in any location that are not real safe. Maybe if you included what cities you're visiting, posters here could help with the areas to stay in or stay out of.
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:15 AM

I agree that just showing up can be risky especially assumming that you are going to be in major tourist areas. You can book ahead and most motels allow cancellation up to 4pm day of arrival with no penalty if your plans change.I recommend that you go to trip advisor to do your research and then book directly with the motel chain you have chosen. Generally their internet rates are the best available.
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:32 AM

We have always been satisfied with the Holiday Inn Express during our road trips in the USA.. Usually around the $100.00 range with free continental breakfast. Last week we stayed at the one near the Brussels airport and were equally satisfied. You can get better rates by being a Priority Club member.

A good way to check rates is the AARP/Expedia website. www.expedia-aarp.com Non AARP members can figure about 10% more than the listed price, but it will give you an idea of the hotels available and their prices. If you see anything you like you can make reservations through the chain website.

If you will be driving distances, then freetrip.com will list hotels in your price range along your route in addition to miles and time traveled and to go.
Old May 10th, 2009, 08:05 AM

Marriott Courtyard, Sheraton Four Points, and Holiday Inn Express have always been good choices for us. I'd avoid the Motel 6, Budget 8, etc. They can really be dumpy.
Old May 10th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Because we're now talking about $100 for these "nicer" motel chains, in some cases, it may make more sense to book a 3.5* or 4* on Priceline (especially for big cities over the weekend). Often you can get it for significantly less than $100. Even after $30 of parking fees, you're still even. Sure, you won't get free breakfast at a Marriott or Westin, but you can a better room and most likely more centrally located for where you want to visit.
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. I can count on one hand the number of times I've made advance reservations at a motel.
2. Feel free to ask to see the room before paying or committing to pay. It's culturally acceptable to do so. That way you'll find acceptable rooms at lower priced motels, and unacceptable rooms at higher priced motels. e.g. I once discovered a cockroach (dead) between the sheets at an upper-end motel in the South.
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:43 AM

Even if you don;t make reservations in advance - and not sure why you wouldn't - do investigate the specific locations. there are more than a few branches of "name" motels located in truly dreadful areas - either massed business parks or high crime areas - or else just places that are really dreary.

If you sort it out in advance you can then call ahed the day before - or day ahed - and should be OK - unless you run into a holiday weekend or festival or something. (We reserve everything in advance - to get what we want at the best rates - which can sell out.)
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:00 AM

I agree with everything that has been said. All of the major hotel chains have "less expensive" brands -- Marriott has Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites and TownPlace Suites, Sheraton has Four Points, Hilton has Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn has Holiday Inn Express, etc. Then there are the "other" chains mentioned - Motel 6, Super 8, Econolodge, Comfort Inn, all of which can be alright, but are less of a "sure thing". The advance internet rate (not cancellable, which is why people recommend just doing it one day in advance) is usually the best rate available.

Do you have a particular nightly budget in mind? And, as others said, the particular places you're going to be would help us help you. In addition to the possibility that a particular motel might be in an office park or high-crime area, many are also going to be immediately adjacent to high-traffic freeways.
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:39 AM

Having recently returned from California we found if staying in the Anaheim Area, The best western Cypress which is 15-20 minutes from Disney, and other locations and 20-30 minutes from the Pacific Coast Highway to be a great Value. Usually Priced between 70-90 US dollars, includes Breakfast, refrigerator in the room as well as a coffee machine and Microwave, they also have a swimming pool and hot tub. The central location of this hotel made it easy to get anywhere around the LA area.

We visited everything from Universal studios to the Fashion district to Knottsberry Farm, to Huntington beach to Santa Monica this trip. Last trip we stayed here as well.

We found the staff very friendly and always helpful. This hotel also has many restaurants close by, (walking distance) as well as even more within 10 - 15 minutes in any direction.

There is a motel 6 at 39.99 weekdays and 49.99 weekends, just down the road, however all doors face outside and from reports there have been issues in other areas of California with these types of entrances.

If staying in the LA - Anaheim Area the Bets Western Cypress would be a good value all around.
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Sorry for the Typo Best western in the last Line. We have also always booked online, a chance to make additional savings sometimes if you look around for Best Western coupons.
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:04 PM

You can get some good deals and clean rooms with privately owned Mom & Pop type motels. Most will have coffee in room but seldom will they offer breakfast... Just ask to inspect the room prior to registering and paying, do this no matter where you stay... We do this all the time when traveling around the country and seldom have we been disappointed..