Reload this Page >

LODGING SUGGESTIONS FOR TEAM

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Galen Lloyd

Our 14 year old boys won second place in our state AAU basketball tournament and will participate in the National Tournament in Cocoa Beach, Florida from July 13 to 20, 2002. Does anybody have suggestions for low cost lodging for about 30 parents and kids? Are there any college dormatories or other facilities that could be suggested?
Thanks for your response,

Galen Lloyd

Old May 5th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Diane

Galen--I'm not sure it would fit your requirement of low cost, but when my son was playing at the Cocoa Expo we stayed at the Resort on Cocoa Beach (321-783-4000), which was cheaper than getting two hotel rooms at the Hilton. They are condos with fully furnished kitchens (save on meal costs!). It is very nice, fairly new, and the boys would have something to do when not playing ball (pool, hot tub, basketball)

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:47 PM
l

we travel alot throughout Florida with our kids sports teams and usually the hosting site has arrangements made with the local hotels for discounts. They aren't always the cheapest or the best but atleast you should check them out. We then check the internet for the area hotels - usually Baymont, Holiday Inn Selects, Residence Inns, etc...have the best rates and are fairly new and clean. We also look for those including a good breakfast in the a.m. The Hamptons are nicer but more expensive. We've found that in the past year the hotels have caught on to tournament schedules and have not been giving as low a discount as they did two years ago. Many have rules written out restricting the actitivites of the kids once you arrive at the hotels. Many of the hotels are also sold out. A couple weeks ago our team selected a courtyard inn. The price was kinda high. I contacted many hotels via internet and phone and didn't get any great rates. I then went to orbitz to see a group of hotels and ended up getting a much better price for a residence inn, better than contacting the hotel directly. I'll definitely use them to check the area. They have many hotels to choose from.

Where are you traveling from?
Congratulations!

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:36 AM
DIANE

Thanks, Diane

Galen

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:39 AM
I

We're coming from Charlottesville, Va. Thanks for your help.

Galen