COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Southeast road trip in the fall - need reservations ahead of time?-

Old Mar 4th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Planning a road trip for mid September to early October - beginning in New Orleans and ending in Washington DC. Planning to follow the gulf coast east as far as Panama City FL (will stay on the beach either in Alabama or Florida for a few days) and then taking back roads toward Savannah. We'll also visit Charleston and continue north along the coast to D.C. - maybe the outer banks or ???

I am wondering if we will be able to be somewhat spontaneous in our day-to-day driving: staying places for as many or few days as we are interested in being at each. It would be fun to have the option to detour to unexpected places we might find out about along the way.

At this time of year, will it be possible to find lodging online a day or two ahead of our arrival, or should we make more solid plans (reservations) ahead of time?

We will have our start and finish dates - so will make reservations for NOLA and D.C.

I really want to have a relaxed and adventurous trip - and not have everything pre-planned as far as getting from one place to the next on certain dates. We don't necessarily need the very best hotels, but are looking for clean places and decent locations for being able to access local sights
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 01:22 PM

hoteltonight.com is your buddy. We have often made hotel reservations an hour before checking in. The new feature of being able to book two nights at the same price is also handy. You know the hotel you are booking and can read the reviews. And an added bonus is that every 11th night is free - more or less - you get a credit for the average price of the prior ten bookings.
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 01:27 PM

Or hotels.com is another good one. You can probably do fine but the fall on the southeast coast-and I assume the gulf coast--is absolutely beautiful and VERY popular. Weekends might be a problem, but there is always "somewhere".
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 01:48 PM

Hoteltonight is a subunit of Hotels.com. Hotels.com covers a wider range of hotels and dates. Hoteltonight specifically lists hotels pushing rooms tonight. Best prices don't show until early afternoon. Have found $300 rooms for less than a hundred at 5 pm.
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 02:06 PM

I think I would wing it with a couple of exceptions:

(A) football weekends, especially homecoming weekends. I wouldn't want to be in a college town on a weekend without a reservation, and even then, there are probably a lot quieter places to be than Tuscaloosa or Knoxville, no offense, fans.

(B) if you are picky. I am perfectly happy with a Hampton Inn after many years in downtown business class hotels. Hampton Inns, Hilton Garden Inns, Courtyards are usually easy to find without a reservation if you stop at a decent hour. That said, business hotels usually have a cheap rack rate on weekends but they still nickel and dime you for everything (pay for wifi, parking ) and you will need a reservation to get a reasonable rate. Walk up and invite yourself to be taken.
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Now we are considering heading inland after Charleston and then north through the Appalachian Mountains toward Ashville, NC.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions regarding this plan?
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 03:10 AM

From Charleston to Asheville you aren't really in the mountains--straight shot up I26 for a few hours trip. So not sure what you are asking. On your other thread several of us have suggested this to you.
Ack's suggestion on hotels is good advice.
Are you then saying you'll head on up to DC from Asheville?
You can drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway for a taste of that.