Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Snow in Bryce, Arches, or Cedar Breaks in mid-Sept . to late Sept.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Gloria

I would like to know how likely it would be for snow to fall in Bryce, Arches, or Cedar Breaks from mid to late September. Being from Florida, we would like to avoid 90 degree weather in Zion but don't want to risk having to drive on snowy roads. I would appreciate advice from anyone familiar with the climate in Utah.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 12:05 PM
travellyn

There's an outside chance you could get snow at higher elevations, but since the ground shouldn't be frozen by then, the snow would melt quickly.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 05:24 AM
RB

We did Arches/Zion/Bryce in 2000 the last week of Sept. and Oct., and it was beautiful weather. Don't think snow will be a factor for you. The way to approach weather (cool in a.m., warm in p.m.) is to dress in light layers. A sleeveless fleece vest over a t-shirt works great; also some of those zip-off leg pants that convert into shorts. Look at stuff on rei.com and campmor.com. Even though you're from the Sunshine State, be sure to wear a hat all times, and drink plenty of water. The combo of strong sun/low humidity/high altitude can zap your energy in a minute. Hope this helps.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 07:05 AM
utahtea

I would never say never but it's VERY, VERY, VERY unlikely to have snow. We've been in the area many times in September and the weather is usually warm during the day and cool at night. Zion will be warmer, then Bryce and Cedar Breaks which is at the highest elevation might even get cold at night.

You might encounter thunderstorms at this time of the year.

Utahtea

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 12:15 PM
travellyn

I forgot to add that I'd love to visit those parks in September!

September should be a great time to visit. I've been camping at Canyonlands in late October, and it was very comfortable at that time of year. If you go in September, you can still have some 90 degree afternoons, but as long as you stay lightly covered and well-hydrated, the heat won't be as oppressive as at sea level.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Gary

We visited that area in late Sept. & the only place where it was cold & chilly was at Cedar Breaks. No snow in sight.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Clousie

We visited that area end of Sept/start of Oct, and it was just wonderful. I also can't stand hot weather, especially for hiking. However, the day we left Cedar Breaks, there was a dusting of snow, but as stated above, it didn't stay on the road. Just enough to be really pretty. Wish I could go back again that time of year.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:33 PM
steve

Last night there ws freeze warning for Northern Arizona, so I imagine it also was quite cold in Zion, etc. If rain comes thru, you could also see snow. There is about 5-6000 ft difference in elevation between Zion and Cedar Breaks

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:34 PM
steve

The 90 degrees in Zion is more comfortable than 70 in FLorida