Reload this Page >

December Weather: Utah National Parks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 02:07 PM
Vic

Planning to fly into Las Vegas Dec 21 and drive the Southern Utah National Parks route.
ie. Zion, Bryce, Escalante, Capitol Reef, Arches then on to Mesa Verde. What kind of weather should I expect. Do these areas get much snow?

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 02:22 PM
Paul Rabe

I checked the "Weather and Climate" section in the "Travel Basics" of Arches, Zion, Bryce, and Mesa Verde NPS sites. The Utah parks say that winter weather is mild in the day, cold at night, and usually dry; but that snow and ice can strike at any time after October. Mesa Verde is usually snowed in during winter. Watch the Weather Channel during this trip; this is NOT a time to learn how to drive on ice!

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 02:32 PM
marv

The temperature can be quite different for the six places you mention. Bryce, for example, can be rather cold. The average high temperature for Dec. 21 is 41F and the average low is 9F. In 1990 in the last week of December it was mimus 30F, so I suppose you should be prepared for that. It can snow. I suppose the people who live in, say, Minnesota, would say that, on average, there is not much snow in Southern Utah. But in any week in late December you need to be prepared for snow- even much snow.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 02:59 PM
George

We're making the same trip Dec. 13. We're looking to see Zion, Bryce and over to Page to look at Antelope Canyon. I'm sure the weather is a real crap-shoot in that area at that time, and I'm trying to allow for it in making reservations. We've booked the last two nights in LV (18th and 19th,) and hope we don't have to make it longer.

Just glad there won't be a lot of tourist pressure for accommodations. But I do hate having to pack winter clothes....

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:25 PM
suzanne

Last time I went to Bryce/Zion it was early May. Bryce had blizzard conditions and 6 feet of snow towards the end on the park road (Yes, in MAY). It was too icy to hike. Zion on the other hand was very hot. I would expect Zion weather to be pretty similar to Vegas' in January, whatever that may be, and Bryce, well forget it unless you really love snow and cold. Hiking won't be possible. Maybe cross-country skiing?

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 05:54 PM
xxx

Sometimes snow causes the roads between canyons to close-check ahead.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:34 AM
travellyn

This is a little elaboration on the post mentioning Mesa Verde. The park is usually open all winter. The only major ruin open in winter is Spruce Tree House, but it's very representative of the others. The park is still worth visiting for a half day or more in December, especially if you won't be around again for a few years. There are times around Christmas in which Spruce Tree House is illuminated by thousands of candles.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:13 PM
Jan

Also Re: Mesa Verde. I was there this summer, it is definately not one to miss. But if it looks at all like snow, let a pro do the drive, [the road] freaked me out in the summer.
Jan

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 07:50 AM
Lynn

Went to Zion last Dec.--COLD at night but no snow--aytime up to 50's great weather for hiking. I just received a SPECIAL RATE via e-mail from Bumbleberry Inn for Dec. --$ 38 . I have stayed there-nothing fancy but confortable and clean and did have their "famous" bumbleberry pie in their adjacent restaurant.