snorkeling photos

Old May 4th, 2002, 04:06 PM
beachbum

snorkeling photos

One last question before we hit the beach. Should I bother with taking an underwater camera for snorkeling in Kauai? If so, what kind of film speed do I need?

Old May 4th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Ann

If you already own an underwater camera I can't imagine not bringing it! My daughter took dive lessons and the instructor took photos of her with his "professional" UW camera and the pics are teriffic. We went through 2 of those silly disposable cameras. If you are a big snorkeler definately bring it.

Old May 4th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Huh

Whats so "silly" about a disposable camera.

Old May 4th, 2002, 05:00 PM
OliveOyl

It doesn't sound as if you have an underwater camera already, and if not, by all means bring one of the disposables. The picture quality is decent and you'll enjoy these memories for years to come. We used them in Cayman and St. John with good results. We didn't have one for Maui, and the snorkeling was deeper water so less light--not sure how they would have ocme out, but it's surely worth a try.

Old May 4th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Nina

I second the disposable cameras. We used them in Mexico and they were fine. Completely forgot about getting a few when we were snorkeling in Belize, and are still kicking ourselves.

Old May 4th, 2002, 07:39 PM
lcuy

I've been very happy with the disposables, and it save you lugging a heavy "real" underwater camera, and/or worrying about someone stealing it.
The main thing to remember is to get up close to your subject, and try to take photos where it isn't too dark or murky.
We've had better luck with the Kodak than with the Fuji.

Old May 4th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Tam

I agree, the underwater disposable cameras work great for everyday travelers. We have an underwater camera which takes great pictures, but I have had friends that have been on the same trip with us that have used diposable camera & their pictures turned out almost as well. Although we were practically in clear bath water in Tahiti. good visibility & sun will help- definitely worth the chance as nothing to lose. Have fun

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:29 AM
beachbum

I do have an UW camera which I've mostly used snorkeling in French Poly. Sounds like I might need faster film on Kauai though. What's the UW visibility at places like Anini or Tunnels or other good snorkeling beaches?