Best Underwater Camera

Search

Best Underwater Camera

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Underwater Camera

Hi I'll be going to Maui in Feb and want some really good photos when snorkeling. any suggestions thanks
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 08:39 AM

How much do you want to spend? Think about how many times you will shoot underwater.

For my trip to the Great Barrier Reef, over Christmas last, I purchased the Kodak MAX Waterproof 35mm - single use. Point and shoot with a great rubberband -like wristband. Very lightweight - 27 exposures for $15.00. Received great pictures.

CHECK OUT THIS WEBSITE:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...334035-0627002
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 08:45 AM
ALF

Are you thinking of buying an underwater camera, or one of those disposable cameras. The disposables will take surprisingly good pictures, provided you don't go deeper than about 25 ft. You probably won't do that snorkeling, so my advice would be to buy Kodak's best underwater disposable (it has rubber grips on it), for less than $25. The alternative is going to cost you at least $150. Ikelite has a nice package that includes a fixed-focus 35mm auto camera and a plexiglass case, good to about 200 ft. I would go with something like that if you intend to do any SCUBA diving in the future. If you do go much below 60 ft., you would need an auxiliary flash attachment as well, which doubles the cost of the outfit. The other company to look at is Sea n' Sea, which makes tight-sealing rubber cases for their cameras.

Finally, if you already have a camera, particularly a digital, you might want to see about buying a case to enclose it.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 03:47 PM

I'll agree that the waterproof disposables take wonderful pictures for snorkeling. And when you consider their cheap price, it's even more of a bargain!
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 04:47 AM

Make absolutely sure that the disposable has a flash. Even in very shallow depths with clear water, taking photos underwater without a flash results in a greenish cast and muted colors - nothing will look like it did when you saw it.