Notices

Where to find an underwater camera?

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to find an underwater camera?

We're heading to Grand Cayman in two weeks, and I'd like to pick up an underwater camera before we go. Reviews I've seen seem to suggest that the disposable ones are just as good, if not better, than the non-disposable ones (at least on the low end of the price range). But so far, I haven't seen either type locally and am wondering if it's too early in the "beach season" here in the Northeast to find such a thing?

Can anyone recommend where to buy one, preferably the disposable type? If we wait to buy one until we get to GC, what would be the cost? I'm assuming it would be more than here, but if it's not a lot more, I might save myself the trouble of trekking all over before we leave town.
Thanks!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:25 PM

jspen, where do you live?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:50 PM

They sell them at Target here in NJ.

Judging on other people's photos both with disposable cameras and water bags for digitals I think there is no comparison in the quality, but for some cheap fun, the underwater disposable is just fine.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:30 PM

I live in the northeast, too, and I can find two kinds at Target--in my limited experience, the Kodak one is better than the Fuji.

There are a few knacks to making better pictures underwater. The most important thing to remember is that you really can't get too close to your subject with those disposable cameras. Secondly, try to only take pictures underwater of subjects that are getting shafts of sunlight to light them up--otherwise everything will look fairly washed out and blue.

There are at least two threads on this forum that you wouldfind helpful if you search for them. I'm on the cusp of getting an underwater camera myself--I only get down to the Caribbean for snorkeling 1-2 times per year, so I've not purchased one yet. I have some very nice underwater shots taken with disposable cameras, but most of the photos I've taken are only of interest to me and my traveling companions and not showpieces.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:19 PM
KVR

We tried the Kodak disposable when we first started going to Mexico/Caribbean 6 years ago. The pictures came out blurry and the color was distorted, so we switched to the Fuji disposable. Better clarity, but the color always seemed too green. The 1-hour photo developing price is ridiculous. Also they are a pain to go through security at the airport. They are 800 speed film and must be hand checked. They can not go through the x-ray machine.

We purchased the disposable cameras at Wal-Mart for $7.00. If you wait to buy on an Island they run about $20.00.

A few weeks ago we purchased a Pentax Optio Waterproof digital camera. It does not have a housing or is made of plastic. It's a 5.0 and has many great features. We have used it out of water and the pictures are great. We are waiting until our trip in May to T & C to try it underwater while snorkeling.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

tpatricco and ejcrowe--thanks for the suggestion regarding Target. I had looked on their website and didn't find one there, but I haven't yet gone to my local store to look in person, so maybe they carry it only in-store? (I live northwest of Boston.) This is our first trip to the Caribbean and our first time snorkeling, so we're not looking for anything too fancy--though it would be nice to avoid blurriness and distortion!

KVR-thanks for the tips about passing through security and about price differences here and on GC. That will help in our planning. I don't think we can splurge on a non-disposable at this point, though I saw one online for about $20--but the reviews were awful.

Any further thoughts on Fuji vs. Kodak disposables are appreciated!
Thanks!
JS
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:04 AM

I second the suggestion of Target. I used to buy the Kodak disposable one. It did the job although not great.
We actually just got an underwater housing for our digital camera which we'll try for the first time on our upcoming trip. Hoping for great pics.