skiing in late november?

Old Oct 6th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skiing in late november?

Hi ppl. We are a late-20's couple who have zero skiing experience. We have vacations from our respective jobs on thanksgiving weekend and since we may have other plans for end-of-the-year, we wanted to go skiing on thanksgiving weekend. We want to know if that's too early and whether we can get skiing lessons before the skiing season really starts in late December? We are considering Vail and Beaver Creek area since Aspen seems expensive, but are open to places in Summit County too.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 12:27 PM

It's certainly not out of the question to have enough snow for skiing by Thanksgiving, although nothing is guaranteed. The major resorts in Summit County (Copper, Keystone, Breckenridge, for instance) open the first or second weekend in November. All of these have man-made snow runs in case Mother Nature isn't so generous that early in the season. Steamboat Springs traditionally gets the biggest snowfall, so that's another area to look into. Last year, we had tons of snow by Thanksgiving; other years, we've had none. The resorts all have ski schools so if there's snow, you'll be able to get lessons. Thanksgiving can be a great time to ski, so hopefully you'll get the snow you need. Check out this website for info on all areas in Colorado: http://www.coloradoski.com/
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Hi KnN,

Utah ski resorts all schedule openings for weekend before Thanksgiving. It's extremely rare for us not to have enough natural snow by then. Snowmaking exists where and if needed.

But don't come here. (The Olympics gave us more than enough publicity and additional skiers, thank you very much. I'm only partly kidding.)
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM

First welcome to the world of skiing. It can be life changing! Since you have zero experience you will not need huge snowfalls. You will be skiing on groomed runs that can be covered by snowmaking. I am most familiar with Summit county. In Summit we have 4 resorts, Breck, Copper, Keystone and A-basin. Of those I believe that Keystone has the the most extensive snowmaking operations. Yes Thanksgiving can be hit or miss snow wise, but last year was great and this year certainly looks promising. But again I would not worry to much about it.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Vail and Beaver Creek are also on the pricy side. I think you'll find a better value in Summit County. Breckenridge is a Victorian town with lots of interesting shops, dining and night life. Classes will be offered at Thanksgiving time and snow making will cover the beginner slopes if there isn't much snowfall. Enjoy!