Vermont Ski and Lodging in late November?

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vermont Ski and Lodging in late November?

Has anyone skied in Southern-Mid Vermont in late November and can shed light on the conditions? How open can we expect the resorts to be? We're considering Killington, Mount Snow, Stratton and Okemo.

Any recommendations for nice places to stay close to Killington, Okemo or Stratton? Looking for a charming inn.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 04:05 PM
bm

This weekend will be the first weekend of the fall where it's been cold enough for the ski areas to make snow...and it's unfortunately supposed to warm up again next week. I know Killington and Okemo are aiming to open up toward the end of next week. It probably won't be much, but it'll be skiing!
AND, it all depends on the weather. If it stays cold, the areas will be able to make lots of snow. If it warms up and stays that way...well....who knows.
With the Thanksgiving holiday coming up, be rest assured, that the ski areas will do the best they can to get terrain open.
Search archives of some ski websites- try www.snowjournal.com, www.firsttracksonline.com, www.epicski.com for info on seasons past.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 06:29 PM

Don't bother.Today a friend came back from way up in New Hampshire and said there was not any snow anywhere, and he's a skier. The weather is too unpredictable and it will be hit or miss. I used to ski Killington over the Thanksgiving period and it was sooo crowded on about 3 trails it wasn't worth it. Unless there is several huge dumps save your money and go some other time.
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

bm - thanks for the websites, they were very helpful. I always check the Google groups and goski, but these have more information.

raineday - thanks for the brutal honesty. We have decided to do this trip at some other point in time, unless they get a hige dump. Its not looking likely, though, as highs have been in the fifties and they will continue to be in the 40s.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 05:42 AM

Your best shot in Mid November, Early December is Killington. Stratton, Bromley and the other mountains just don't have as much snow as Killington until later in the season. Killington you can also ski in June!
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

I'm back and I have decided to answer my own question, just in case someone has this same question next year.

We decided to go to Vermont for the outing (not necessarily for the skiing) and did try to ski one day for three hours under POURING rain. I was impressed, though, by Okemo's snowmaking capabilities. They had about 10 long trails open with man made snow and top to bottom skiing. Considering the rain and warm temperatures, the snow quality was pretty decent. Stratton only had top to bottom skiing for experts.

There was certainly enough to do in the area for three days, even without skiing. We took a long walk, went shopping in Manchester, drove and stopped in the darling towns around Route 100 and Route 30, took a tour of Hildene (Robert Todd Lincoln's summer estate), dined well and chilled.

We stayed at a lovely inn near Mount Snow called the West Dover Inn. I posted a review in the Rants and Raves section.