Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

November skiing in Colorado, what's the chance??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to go skiing in the Denver area around Nov. 20th, what's the chances of having snow and skiing?
I know Breck opens Nov 15 and there was an early season last year but does that assure skiing at that time of year, and what's the quality of the snow/skiing?
I have some arline tickets to be used before Thanksgiving. We are intermediate (East coast) skiers and wonder which area would be best. Thanks in advance!!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:53 PM

Chances are very poor. If there is snow it's likely to be on one or two runs and it's likely to be man made snow. Hardly worth going for. Free airline tickets might not warrant the expense of accommodations and lift tickets.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 07:58 PM
gb

I have to say there is no way to predict. On occasion, there will be a good sized snowfall at Thanksgiving. Mostly not. There has been a few years where I've gotten good X-country skiing in at Jones Pass. Loveland will probably be opened. You aren't likely to get quality snow, but there will probably be snow. And if the early amount of spiderwebs around the outside of my house is any indication, we could have a lot of snow this winter. But in reality, there is no way to truly predict when and how much snow there will be.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 06:30 AM

Hi vacaman, well "historically" Nov is one of our snowiest months, Sorry Belinda. Recent years, last year excepted, have been lacking. Last year the early season was the best in decades! You should look at Keystone, they have spent many, many $$$$ this summer upgrading the snowmaking system. The CEO has vowed to once again have Keystone known for the best early season skiing in Summit County. Who knows if this will be but I can say that they have been working very hard on it. I have never seen so much work being done in summer for the ski season. I for one am very hopeful. Also it is an easy drive to Loveland about 15 min from Keystone so you can ski both.

Why ppl think that man made snow is bad is beyond me. Man made snow, at least in Colorado, is very good as they can control the moisture content making in light fluffy powder.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 07:03 AM

use your tix for whistler. much better skiing in fall/winter.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 10:51 AM

flopmeister, whistler may not be open on those dates Blackcomb Mountain
November 22, 2003 - April 25, 2004
Whistler Mountain
November 27, 2003 - June 6, 2004

FYI I got this in todays mail. Now it is from the COO of Keystone, so self serving but this is what he had to say if anyone is interested....

"The snow making expansion is well underway with pipes being laid all over the mountain. If all goes well the system should be up and running in time to have a huge impact on the quality of snow when Keystone opens for the season on November 14, 2003."

No mention though of how much of the mountain will be open that early. Loveland I would think will have been open for about 2 weeks at that time.
Hope this helps.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 11:05 AM

one more thought. You may know this, but...In Summit County you are very close to Loveland, Breckenridge, Copper Mtn, Keystone and Vail is about 20-30 min further west. You can pick where to ski based upon who has gotten the most snow or who has the most terrain open an any given morning. If you do not have your heart set on staying at a resort per se the town of Frisco is very central to all the resorts.