Record Snowfall to date.

Nov 13th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Record Snowfall to date.

Off to a good start for the ski season in Colorado. Loveland has had an all time record of 86" of snow this early in November. Other areas doing almost as well. Let us hope that it continues at this level for awhile. Last year was a little thin. Maybe next week.
Nov 14th, 2018, 03:10 PM

Hoping for a cold and snowy winter in Montreal.
We have a special weather statement for this Friday, possibility of a large snowfall.
Would be nice to start the cross- country ski season, prefer minus 25Celsius and crisp snow to a smelly gym.
Nov 15th, 2018, 06:50 AM

Well, I hope so for Colorado as I have a trip planned to Aspen in February. But Aspen hasn't really had a lot of good snow in years, worse than other areas in the state. But I don't know that snow in November is a good predictor for the rest of the season.

If it's snowed so much, why does Loveland's website say they only have a 24 inch base midmountain? I see this all over the area, Vail claims they've had 52 inches of snow but their base is only about 23 inches. Maybe I don't understand how they measure that (total inches of snow) if there is such a disconnect in that and what is actually there as a base.
Nov 15th, 2018, 08:08 AM

I don't know how they measure it at ski areas, but for those of us living in CO - we're just glad to see it! Last year was almost snow free in my neck of the woods.
Nov 15th, 2018, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

The base is what is packed down. A two foot base at this time of year is terrific. Put a couple inches of fresh snow on top of that and it could be a near perfect day. Get off the groomed slopes and you find the 50, 60, 80" of loose snow in the trees and non groomed open areas. After 55 years of skiing my knees prefers the groomed slopes. The price you pay for banging bumps and trees.
Nov 23rd, 2018, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Wow -- it is continuing. Most of the western slope will pick up 18" to 2' over the weekend. Of course, it could stop next week. But so far the season is looking good.
Dec 16th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Skied Friday (14) at Breckenridge. The snow was the best I have seen in decades for early December. There wasn't a rock in sight anywhere. The conditions easily match Jan/Feb for amount and condition. It would stop snowing tomorrow but we are off to a good start. Did not make peak 10 or the bowl because skiing partner was not up to it but may of the short black diamonds between peaks 8 and 9 were in good shape. Still hate the moving sidewalk that Breckenridge installed a couple of years ago.

Even the traffic back to Denver Friday evening matched Feb/March traffic - awful !

Last edited by fmpden; Dec 16th, 2018 at 10:15 AM. Reason: addition
Dec 16th, 2018, 12:40 PM

Kudos to you for keeping at it. I think you have a few years on me (I'm 70 next year) so skiing black diamond is pretty respectable, even to a non-skier like me.

I did do a 8-day backpacking trip this summer. My friend and I decided we might be getting to old for that stuff, but nonetheless are discussing future plans.

We could use some snow down here in town as you know. While you were skiing I was winter watering a bunch of new shrubs. Anyway, have a great season!
Dec 19th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Nelson -- almost 77. First learned to ski at Loveland in 62. Seen a lot of changes. Biggest change is that as I get older my skis get shorter, Now it is some easy. Keeping thinking this will be my last year and then the automatic renewal for the season pass kicks in and I go for one more year. I have given up the bumps unless I accidentally hit them and then I will ease through them carefully. Now a groomed black with fresh snow is close to heaven.

Last edited by fmpden; Dec 19th, 2018 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling