Search

Ski in Vermont USA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ski in Vermont USA

Hi.
I´m writing from Venezuela and would like to ask for help regarding which resort would you consider the best option to ski in Vt.
We are a party on three (my wife and 11 years old daughter) and although we love skiing or skills are very basic. We love enjoy vacations in the snow and planning to spend a week Somewhere in VT since our first stop will be Boston.
We are looking for accomodation´s best options in a condo close to the resort main village.
As stated we love skiing but not at all times so if the resort has a village where to hang out a bid, have a nice coffee etc etc would be preferable.
Any thoughts?

Regards,
Ramón
Caracas-Venezuela
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 03:12 PM

You might try Okemo Mountain Resort in Ludlow, Vermont.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM

I might suggest Stowe. It's generally regarded as the best ski resort in the East. There are numerous place to stay. The Trapp Family Lodge is fairly well known. If you have seen the Sound of Music, the Trapp family is the one the movie is about. They escaped to Vermont from Austria.

There are two ski areas. Spruce Peak is geared to beginner and intermediate level.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 04:01 PM

Hi Ramon,
Smuggler's Notch in Jeffersonville, Vermont (and not far from Stowe) is known as "America's Family Resort" and has a great reputation. Check it out at smuggs.com
Hope this is helpful to you.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Ditto on Stowe, it has a nice town, and Burlington is nearby for a bigger town experience. Also, much better chance of decent snow conditions vs. Okemo which, in my opinion, is too far south,and their conditions have been dreadful every time I've been there, but are somehow know for quality grooming. Smuggler's Notch is also close to Stowe so you can ski at both, and Smuggs is geared toward families. Stowe also has night skiing along the gondola liftline.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help.
Any wors regarding Stratton and Sugarbush?

Thanks
Ramón
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 07:04 AM

Stowe is a much larger resort than either Sugarbush or Stratton. Therfore, there is more diversity in activities -- and the skiing is better. I also prefer the ambiance of Stowe as compared to the other two. www.gostowe.com is an excellent site to check out for information.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 07:25 AM
ALF

If you stay at or near Stowe, it is a short drive to several other ski areas, including Smuggler's Notch, Mad River Glen, and Sugarbush.

If you want a ski area with a base village and condos, you should check out either Stowe, Killington, or Mt. Snow. I agree that given the choice, I too would go to Stowe. The terrain is better and it is further north for better snow.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 07:42 AM

I wouldn't recommend Stratton as a "Vermont Experience", it's like they moved NYC a couple hundred miles north and added a mountain,hence the nickname "Manstratton". I find it to be obnoxious. There are, however, nice slopeside condos that are extremely expensive, along with everything else. I do like the terrain at Stratton as long as you're not looking for pitch, though I'm not a fan of the lift system. If you're looking for a phony European village atmosphere, then Stratton might actually be a good choice for you. Most other resorts in VT that I've been to just have base lodges. For a beginner/intermediate family, Stratton might actually be a good choice but you won't get that VT/New England experience that you would get at Stowe...
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 07:51 AM

I'm surprised no one mentioned Killington... Probably the best ski instructors on the East Coast and is more similar to the resorts in Colorado....
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 08:11 AM

No offense, but I have skied extensively in Colorado and the Killington experience is not at all similar. For one thing, the trails at Killington are narrow and very crowded. I'm sure their ski instructors are excellent, but that is the case with most Vermont ski areas, even the small ones.

If you are looking for western-type skiing in Vermont, the most comparable area is Okemo, with its wider trails. I still prefer the overall appeal of Stowe, however.
Like Aspen, Vail and Steamboat, CO, it features a wonderful resort town in addition to the skiing.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Ditto! colbeck
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 09:10 AM

I'm going to VT this year and found it's easier to find ski in/out condos at Sugarbush. It's also very family friendly from what I've read. I went with Stowe because of the town and better nightlife options but we will have to drive to ski.

Stratton is a fake corporate village, but the skiing is very good there.