Okemo/Killington/Pico ???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone at work just told me that someone they know told them (comical, eh?) that Killington purchased OKemo and that you can ski between them?? Is this true - and aren't they too far away for the mountains to connect?

I know Killington owns Pico, but do then now own Okemo - and does this mean there is some sort of combo pass? I know with a K pass you can ski at P, but not vice versa.

Any knowledge is appreciated!
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 11:59 AM
KMK

Seems unlikely.

Killington is owned by ASC, which is always teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. They just sold Heavenly to Vail Resorts in the past few years because they just don't have the money to run/maintain their properties; I doubt they are out shopping.

Meanwhile, Okemo is family owned by the Muellers, who seem to have no problems successfully running and expanding their resorts (they recently bought Crested Butte), and I don't see why they would be selling out now....Okemo is a cash cow and they are using that to build up Crested Butte.

And, no, they are not close enough to connect & ski between, even if they had the same ownership. At least 20 miles apart.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks KMK, I asked the person I was talking with if he meant Killington/Pico, but he says, no, my buddy who has a house in K said they bought Okemo and now they run them together. I knew Okemo opened Jackson Gore area this year, but I still thought it was too far away!

I can't wait to immerse myself in ski culture and be as knowledgeable as you - I skied in HS, but then gave it up, now I'm 3 seasons in to being a junkie, and trying to learn/travel as much as I can to ski areas! Last year was Breckenridge, this year Vermont, Tremblant late season is a hope, but not yet planned - wish me luck! Kristy
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 12:30 PM
KMK

Thanks for the compliment. Skiing has really become my obsession the past few years, and my husband and I have been taking at least 2 big trips for the past 6 or 7 years, so we've managed to sample a lot of places. The obsession is getting worse, though - we're both going to be ski instructors at our local resort this winter. (Don't ask, it's in Ohio, you don't want to visit!!!)

Great place to get more knowledge on all aspects of skiing is www.epicski.com. I spend FAR too much time there soaking up all the knowledge!!!

Old Nov 13th, 2004, 11:53 AM

Killington does not own Okemo. ASC (Am. Ski Co.) owns Killington, Pico, Mt. Snow, Haystack in VT, Sunday River and Sugarloaf in ME and Attitash/Bear Peak in NH. (Think that's all of them.) They also own Canyons in UT and Steamboat in CO. There were plans to connect Killington and Pico. That never happened but is still on the drawing board. Even if they did own Okemo, the areas are much too far apart to be able to ski between them. The family that owns Okemo also runs Sunapee in NH and recently bought Crested Butte, CO.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 12:35 PM
gc

Don't worry about Killington....come on up to Sugarbush!

Better snow, better terrain, fewer lines, more smiles!