Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Site59 a bargain? Not a chance! Buyer beware!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Smart

I was pricing a 4 night getaway for my husband and myself to Jamaica. We wanted to stay at a nice, small hotel, so I priced out a 4 night stay at Coyaba Beach, round trip air from New York and transfers. The cost through Liberty Travel came to $1,530.00

My husband then told me to check out Site59, on several people's recommendation that they had gotten great last minute deals there, so on a lark, I priced the Coyaba for 4 nights next weekend, which I of course assumed would be much less expensive seeing how it was not only last minute but off season as well. Guess what, the price came to $ 1,575, no transfers and lousy flight times! So where are the big savings? All this plus the fact that November is a much less expensive month to travel to the caribbean than January.

I'm posting this to dispel the myth that this site is giving anything away. In fact, it doesn't appear to be any bargain at all, quite the opposite. I priced out a few more destinations like Florida and can't believe how expensive they are! So much for last minute savings.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Mary

Actually, I've gotten the best deals to the Carribean anywhere from September through the second week of December (minus Thanksgiving). The price increases after Christmas and into the first few months of the next year. So actually, November, I believe, is low season and January is considered high season. Buy anyway, $1,500 (per person I assume) for 4 nights at Coyaba, even including air seems high.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Mary

Oops. Support to say "But anyway" not "Buy anway."

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:52 AM
xxx

Nah, they aren't a deal. Too limited in departure cities (or used to be).

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Mary

Wow. Does my typing suck today. "Support" should read "Suppose."

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Smart

That's exactly my point Mary. The dates on Site59 were for next week - low season, so I thought that price was high! That is what I said, wasn;t it?). Anyway that price is not per person, it's for both of us.

So does that seem like a good price for January (got the January price from Liberty),then since it's for 2 of us?
She's holding the tickets until 6:00 today.