Search

Thailand High Season or Not!??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand High Season or Not!??

Hi everyone,
I would like to visit Thailand (BKK, Chiang Mai in north, and an island in south) and I have 2 weeks vacation which I can take at any time. My dilemma is whether to go in low season or utilize Christmass/new year holidays and stay more in high season? WOULD I REALLY SAVE MUCH MONEY?? Would I have difficutly finding accomodation? I am single guy traveling alone, so wouldn't it be more fun to go in holidays (more opportunity to meet people!!)?????

Thanks alot.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 07:51 AM

You will save some money by not going in high season. The hotel rates are significantly cheaper. The airfares are also cheaper. However, there's a reason that the high season is most popular, i.e., the weather. It's the least hot time of the year. We've had a great time going in late November/early December. The rates are shoulder season (mid-range) and the weather was not brutal. There were plenty of "people" to meet. If you want to go this year during the high season, you should book very soon.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 08:27 AM

If by going over Christmas you can add 3 or 4 days to your trip, do it. But start booking now.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 08:50 AM

Good point, if you do it over Christmas and new year you can add those vacation days to your total days, but as said, air fares are at their highrest to get to Thailand, flights within Thailand heavily booked, hotel prices highest.

If you go outside of Dec/Jan/Feb you will get long haul flights cheaper, easier to get around domesticaly, hotels cheaper.
I know in some countries in a 'low season' things close up but in Thailand that doesn't happen, even in what some would call the lowest time of the season there are still plenty of people around, hotels, restaurants and shops open, and many places busy.

You will have the chance to meet people whatever time of year you travel, when it's rainy time in the far south it's dry time in the Gulf region islands and beaches. I persoanly find the hight of peak season 'crowded' but the lower time of year relaxing and easy, yet still lots of people around.
Note also that New Year is a peak travel time for those living in Thailand, although cooler, I honestly think you will save a lot of bucks going outside that time.
When we say a price difference on hotels we are not talking 10% or $20, we are talking 2 or 3 times off season prices! (These extremes really apply mostly to the Islands ), what can cost $35 low season can cost $100 or more in 'peak', even going late January makes a difference as many hotels hike the rates from Dec 20 to Jan 4th/10 so going even late January will save a lot.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 09:51 AM

with the exception of dec 15-jan 15 prices are higher but not crazy in comparison with other times of the year....the cheapest is may to october...may and june can be quite decent times to go....the last two years i have been during these months...other than some rain on 3 out of 5 days (sometimes as little as 1/2 hour) the weather was quite pleasant...we did not find it any hotter than in the nov/dec/jan time frames in bkk...

if i were you i would not go over christmas and new years....prices are too extended....

early december or even mid nov-mid december is a great time...

look at this hotel web-site to get an idea of prices:

www.huahin.20m.com

as an example the marriott on the river for a single is about $91 pre oct 31 and maybe $115 afterwards...not that much difference...i am guessing at prices....

don't know what level of hotel you want and that can also make a difference....on priceline you can get some good deals on sukhumvit lux hotels for around $75+ or on the holiday inn silom for about $45.+---these are not always available however...

beach locations are always expensive...much more than bangkok generally....
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Made things simpler, Thanks. I did some investigation! For accomodation I don't see much of a difference but my agent said the price of ticket will be more by around $400. So I think I will plan to go in late February, HOW ABOUT THAT? IS THAT A GOOD TIME FOR HAVING FUN, DIVING, ETC.??? I have to attend a wedding in LA so thought maybe I fly from there!!!

Thanks.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 05:45 PM

perfect...look at thai air from CA and also eva air...