Rates hike for accom in Thailand

Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Rates hike for accom in Thailand

Just checked out new rates just posted for late 2005/early 2006 on www.sawadee.com and room rates have risen significantly. Seasons have altered and Nov early Dec is now considered peak season.

Anyone got any suggestions for well-priced accom websites in Thailand? I'm not prepared to pay 6700 baht for a 4 star hotel in Hua Hin when I can get the Shangri-La in BKK on priceline for 5250 baht & the Westin for 3750 baht. Any ideas? Thanks a lot for any input.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:59 PM

i just looked at some sites on the hua hin site and for bkk they look about the same as always...priceline is not a fair comparison....sh-la is just recently available at about $105 for now but has been missing for 1 year...westin is a good buy as are the other sukhumvit pricelines....
remember they are probably only at this price because people are scarce in bkk for the last 2-3 years....that is changing and so are prices...
Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

sorry season Nov 1 to Dec 19 is "high season" not peak. I'm relating this post to Hua Hin prices compared to Bangkok.

Yes, Bob, I hear you but Hua Hin is hardly "flavour of the month" except maybe amongst Thais. I was surprised at the change in prices from October to early Dec, compared to 2004/2005. Last year's prices were still relatively low for early December. Will do a bit more searching, I guess.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:25 PM

i have always found november and december pricing to be the highest of the year
Aug 7th, 2005, 02:03 AM

Nov is the time rates change, generally they go up and then up again for Dec 20 to about Jan 10. BKK is very competative whereas Hua Hin accommodation is at a premium, especially these days as has had an absolute boom year, New Wora Bura opening in September in Hua Hin and Novotel have taken over the Gold Sands ( now Novotel Tipviman Cha Am ) plus Sheraton opens in 2006. Also is can be 100% full at weekends throughout the Year. Hua Hin is also now more popular with Asian travellers, I know that if we plan HH over New Year as we often do I shall probably start trying to book in the next week or so.

Which hotel/resort were you looking at Lyndie?
Aug 7th, 2005, 09:51 AM

james---where is the new sheraton going to be??

bob
Aug 7th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

Hi James-we looked at Sofitel & Central Hua Hin. Sofitel was 6700 baht or 240AUD and Central 188AUD which for Thailand is way more than we expected.

We got a lovely beachfront bungalow at Coco Palms, Samui in Dec 2004 for 78AUD. Lovely resort and great pool.

I think we might give Hua Hin a miss & head back to Samui. Many prices are quoted as low season up to Dec 15 which is what we expected at Hua Hin.

The very gorgeous Ao Nang Villa in Krabi is only 135AUD for their best rooms. They have excellent amenities and their rooms are splendid. Thanks for explaining the situation in Hua Hin. Prices are way over the top, imho.