Search

silver springs,MD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silver springs,MD

what is a good hotel - in the price range of $100-$150 per night in silver springs,MD for a family to stay in and visit Washingon DC?
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:58 AM

You have a choice of the Silver Spring Hilton - newly renovated, but I have not seen the rooms since they did it or the Holiday Inn Silver Spring. Both are a 10 minute walk to the Silver Spring Metro.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:03 AM
E

As jerirl indicates by example, it's Silver Spring, without the "s" on the end--it's a pet peeve of the locals that it is so often used incorrectly.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Intrepid

Actually, those of us who live around here often refer to it as "Sylvia Spring"..also without the "s" Wherever you decide to stay try to be near the Metro..but you might also consider nearby places in Arlington, VA, in either the Ballston or Rosslyn areas. Rosslyn has a Metro stop, many places to stay, and you can walk across the Key Bridge and into Georgetown.

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 03:29 AM

I think Intrepid's funnin' with ya, but if you're staying in the area to be near friends or relatives and you've got a car, there are several Courtyards (Marriott) and similar cheery places to stay throughout Silver Spring, just not within walking distnce of the Metro stop. "Downtown" Silver Spring has been trying to spruce up and reinvent itself (when I moved here 30 years ago, we jokingly named it the Dry Cleaning Capitol of the World...there were Dry Cleaners on nearly every block and an actual "Dry Cleaning Institite"...but I digress). There is a lovely restored movie theater "The Silver" which holds lots of memories from my husband's family (he grew up in SS), and one of the neatest seafood restaurants in the DC area, Crisfields (two locations, one swanky and "downtown" the other the original with tile floors & walls and a big bar where you watch them pull draft beers and shuck oysters non-stop. It is where a midwest girl (me) fell in love with oysters forever. So, Silver Spring has it's graces, but you might want to check out the Bethesda area, as well for even more hotel choices close to a Metro stop, with a lot more to offer in the evenings for dining and entertainment. Tourism has been down this year, so I would check out what's on the web (or maybe even try Priceline if you can choose Bethesda-- there truly are a lot more nicer choices there) and then call a couple directly to see if there are any special deals.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 10:37 AM

I would agree that Silver Spring is not a top choice unless you have some special reason for staying there as opposed to another DC suburb by the Metro. There are numerous hotels near the King Street metro stop in Alexandria that would give you access to Old Town, a moderate walk but a lovely area where you would enjoy walking around in the evening.