Search

Wyndham DC on M Street

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:49 AM
moo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wyndham DC on M Street

Planning for November trip to DC with 2 adults and two kids ages 9 and 11. Considering the Wyndham DC on M Street. Any advice? It looks to be centrally located but are there any reasonable fun restaurants nearby? Is area safe for walking after dark? Any other suggestions? Please advise. Thanks!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 06:44 AM

I recently stayed there for 3 nights and cannot recommend it.

It is centrally located, but NOT near any tourist attractions (except the National Geographic Society) and furthermore it's NOT convenient to the Metro. They overcharged me for parking -- I rented a car and parked it there for one night, but they charged me for two on my cc bill even though I worked with the front desk TWICE to straighten it out. Place has that damp hotel smell. Staff were polite but several just were incompetent. Barely worth the $55 I paid on Priceline.

Better places that I've stayed include the Marriott Wardman Park -- it's within walking distance to the zoo and literally next door to a Metro stop. I've also stayed at the Marriott Metro Center, where they went out of their way to find me a room that not only had two beds but would accommodate a rollaway for the extra kid. This hotel, also, is literally next door to a Metro stop. Another place that's better is the Embssy Suites in Chevy Chase -- attached to a mall with things to do and places to eat (in dditionto the classic ES breakfast buffet), and literally atop a Metro stop.

I guess I seem obsessed wtith being close to the Metro, but the fact is that so many hotels are, it doesn't make sense to stay at one that isn't. The attractions in DC are too spread out to find a hotel that's "close to everything;' you'll be using the Metro, so why not stay handy; nothing's nicer than getting off the train at the end of a long day and knowing that you don't have yet another long hike ahead of you.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 07:06 AM

I forgot to address your query about restaurants. The Metro Center area is more businesslike, with fewer evening options. Wardman Park area has a nice strip of interesting little restaurants as well as a grocery where you can pick up beverages and snacks.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 08:32 AM

We stayed at the Metro Center a few years ago. It's a typical chain hotel in a fairly quiet, upscale area. It's about as safe an area as you can find. It does have the drawback of being a few blocks from a merto stop, and there are only a few restaurants close by. However, Georgetown is only a few minutes walking time away, as is Dupont Circle. One other drawback if you have kids - there is no swimming pool.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 10:18 AM

The Wyndham is located about equal distance between the Dupont Circle (red line) and the Foggy Bottom (blue line) metros. It is slightly closer to Foggy Bottom, around 4 blocks. The area is quite safe for walking after dark. There are a few restaurants nearby but most are for the lunch crowd (Bread & Chocolate, Cosi, Port of Piraeus etc) or are more upscale (Vidalia, Galileo, Asia Nora).

When I worked in DC, I walked quite a bit so a walk to Georgetown to me is not that far. It is about 9 blocks away. There are tons of restaurants and good shopping in Georgetown. There are also a lot of restaurants in Dupont Circle. So, in answer to your question, the Wyndham is centrally located but with no tourist attractions in the immediate vicinity.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 10:29 AM

Actually, KC, I think this is the OTHER Wyndham on M Street at 14th and M (the old Vista). It's about three blocks to McPherson Square and four blocks to the Farraguts.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 12:55 PM

Oops, I forgot about the location on 14th St. in which case I would probably not recommend it. The Wyndham I was referring to is on New Hampshire at M St. which might be better suited for you.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 01:12 PM

As noted above, there are two Wyndham hotels in DC: The "Wyndham City Center", at 1143 New Hampshire Avenue, which I believe is the one that zootsi and kcapuani were referring to. This block of NH Ave is indeed between L and M Streets.

The one I stayed at, which I believe is the one the OP was asking about, gives 1400 M Street as its address and is (confusingly!) referred to as "Wyndham Washington DC."
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 07:59 PM

With all due respect, the 14th & M Street Wyndham is perfectly good and 4 blocks to the McPherson Metro. Granted I wouldn't be hiking around there after 9 p.m., but I wouldn't at the other Wyndham or many other hotels either and I live here. Re: restaurants, the area abounds with sandwich/coffee shops and between 14-16th street & K are a dozen top restaurants (DC Coast, Georgia Browns, Bobby Vans, McCormick & Schmicks, french, italian, etc.).
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 09:17 PM

Actually, on the 2 nights that I didn't have the car, I walked from the Metro to the hotel at about 10 PM and didn't feel particularly unsafe, just far. Granted, 4 blocks isn't far in the absolute sense, but it's a lot farther than many other places. Because I was away so much, I didn't get a sense of the area restaurants, which is why I didn't mention them in my earlier post.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 02:38 PM

Is the Wyndham City Center as bad? 1143 New Hampshire Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20037
Phone: 202-775-0800
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 11:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
We stayed at one of the Wyndhams a couple of years ago. I can't remember exactly which one it was except that it was just a couple of blocks down from the Nat. Geo. headquarters. It was perfect for us because they have "family rooms" huge rooms with two king beds. We did have some trouble parking because our Expedition wouldn't fit into their parking lot so valet brought it to one across the street. Dinner in Georgetown was a quick taxi ride away.