Siesta Key, Florida

Old Dec 31st, 2004, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siesta Key, Florida

I'm looking for suggestions on beachfront condo's in Siesta Key. Our limit is $2000/week. We'll be traveling with our 1 year old daughter.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 07:08 AM

You may want to look at the Turtle Key Resort on Siesta Key - their cottages looked wonderful.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 10:45 AM

I believe Turtle Key is bayside not beachside. They are supposed to be very nice but you'll need to check about the trek to the beach if they interest you.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 02:17 PM

Turtle Beach Resort is across the (only) street from the beach. The rsort is located almost at the southern tip of the key. If you are looking for a quiet, romantic place, this would be it.

www.turtlebeachresort.com

If you want to stay at a more lively, beach side place, then some condo rentals in the middle of the island may be a better option. You will be closer to the Village where you will have a choice of many restaurants, shops, and nightclubs. It's about a 5-6 mile drive from TBR to the village, not too bad, but traffic could slow you down, especially during the high season. Most of the modern, upscale beachfront condos are located about a 1 to 3 miles from the Village, so it's more convienient.

www.sarasotasurf.com is a good option. Great, middle of the island location, beach side, pool, etc...

Look here for more info:

www.siestakeychamber.com

Welcome to our little paradise and I hope you have a wonderful stay. If you have any questions about a particular property, just post it here.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, the Sarasota Surf looks like a great option for us, I'm going to email them about availability. I like that they have a beachside pool. The Turtle Key Resort looks really nice too, but I'm not so sure it would be the best option with our active baby. We would probably decrease the romance for the others!
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 05:58 PM

I second the option for staying in the middle of Siesta, somewhere on the 3 mile "crescent" shaped Siesta Beach. Turtle Beach is great area for shelling if you want to take a little walk there, but it didn't really seem like a commercial section of beach, a lot more of homes on the beach, and not as much going on as on Siesta beach.

There are plenty of condo complexes on the crescent shaped beach, great beach for families, beautiful white sand that stays cool, excellent for walks, jogs and for the kids to frolic, also, as mentioned, great for some shelling closer to the Turtle Bay side--however, sand dollars can be found out in the sand bars on the crescent beach part. You are close enough to Sarasota (about a 20 min. drive) for cultural things--also close to small shopping areas, St. Armand's Circle for a shopping/dining 1/2 day trip. Siesta Key is the perfect place kick back on your beachfront balcony, enjoy some wine and relax as you watch the gulf waves crash.

Here are a few other places to look for a condo:

http://www3.cyberrentals.com/FLX/FLSK.html?id=kelly

www.siestakeycondos.com

www.siestakeyonline.com

www.siesta-key.net

You can also try vrbo.com and find Siesta Key through the Florida link.

Have a great time.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the help, I'm just waiting to hear back on availability from the Sarasota Surf and the Crescent Arms.

We'd like to fly nonstop from Chicago or Milwaukee. I can only get to Sarasota with connections. That leaves us with either Ft Myers or Tampa, which is easier to get to Siesta Key from? From mapquest, both look to be about 90 minutes drive.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:28 PM

I don't know about getting there from FM but from Tampa it's a breeze. It's a larger airport with more flights, which is an advantage if anything happens, such as your plane is cancelled for whatever reason. It is a very nice airport, but I've never flown into FM.

I know you'll enjoy Siesta Key
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:39 PM

To be honest, there's no question the drive from the RSW (Ft. Myers) airport is easier. I-75 goes right past the airport, you go north and get off at an exit (sorry, I can't remember the numbers) which goes right out to Siesta Key. The drive from Tampa probably takes about the same amount of time, but involves several changes and going over the big bridge -- but it is pretty there. It kind of angles you around a lot to get where you're going.
I'd just go for wherever you can get the best flight and price.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:13 AM

I believe that www.ata.com has 1 nonstop MDW-SRQ.

If you decide to fly into TPA or RSW then I agree with Ptrick, pick the flights that have the best schedule/price for you. The distance is almost identical, actually RSW is about 5 more miles but less traffic.

Going south or north on I-75 you will want to exit on Clark Road (Route 72) and go west, over a bridge and you are on Siesta Key. If you are coming from Tampa you could also get off on Bee Ridge RD. which is one exit before Clark and do the same thing, go west, over a bridge and you will get to Siesta Key, but Bee Ridge has many lights, heavy traffic, and it just takes longer, especially during the day, so believe it or not it's quicker to go to the next exit as described above.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the help.

I've booked our flight MKE-RSW, rental car, and the Sarasota Surf for the week.

Now I'm looking for family friendly restaurant suggestions.

Thanks again,
Anna
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Fun little seafood place, Old Salty Dog, two locations, one on Siesta Key and one on City Island by Mote Marina and The Pelican Man Bird Sanctuary. Great fish and chips or grouper sandwiches. We like Osteria (Italian) at the edge of St. Armands Circle for dinner and although not so creative, The Chart House for brunch. Great salad bar.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Another question.

We will be in the Tampa area in April (first week). We would like to go over to the beaches for a night or two. We have done the Clearwater beaches and are interested in trying out the Sarasota area. We are more interested in hotels (most condos have minimum night requirements). Ideally, a "mom and pop" hotel is fine--preferably beachside with a (heated) pool. Suggestions for hotels in that area?
thanks
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Hi,
We stayed at Turtle Beach last year with a 5mth old, and loved it, however, it is quite far from any "nice" sand beaches, not within walking distance. We had a great experience b/c of the fenced in yard and hot tub, and you wouldn't bother anyone there, very friendly folks. We are going again this year and staying at Sea Shell condos. Although, I just found a place on the web, called tropical breeze looks great, and a super location. Have fun.