Spa in the Florida Keys: Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! My sister-in-law and I are staying in Key West for a few days at a B&B, but wanted to spend a day at a resort with a spa. We are considering the Ocean Key Resort, Little Palm Island, Pier House, Casa Marina, Hawk's Cay. We want to get a treatment at a spa, and hang out at a pool and beach area at the resort. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 03:33 PM

How about Cheeca Resort and Spa up in Islamorada MM82.

http://www.cheeca.com/
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 08:38 AM

I'd start by crossing Hawk's Cay off your list, because they're currently undergoing renovations. Little Palm Island is wildly expensive ($1,000 a day), but would sure provide plenty of luxury and fabulous food. I know nothing about their spa - didn't even know they have one. Perhaps Peter will see this post as he's the expert on the Pier House, but I think they, too, are still having renovations.

The Ocean Key doesn't have a beach (hopefully you know enough about Key West to realize it's not a true beach destination), so that pretty much leaves Casa Marina.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

So, it sounds like Casa Marina or Ocean Key...no beach area obviously (and not a problem), but which has the nicest pool, service, sense of luxury? Thanks for the guidance!
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 04:30 AM

Casa Marina is just winding up renovations that have been going on for over a year. I haven't looked in since the completion, but during the renovation they stayed open and got ghastly reviews. You might look at trip advisor to see what recent visitors are saying. It's definitely the most resort-like hotel in Key West.

Having said that, I love the location of the Ocean Key Resort (and the hotel, too). We spend lots of time in Key West just watching the boat traffic on that side of the island, and if you get a waterfront room, you'll get quite an interesting view.

If you stay at the Casa Marina, you'd need to LOVE to walk, or rent bikes or scooters. It's a fairly long way from the sunset celebrations and most restaurants and tourist activities.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 06:18 AM

This is the latest I've received from the Pier House, and FWIW I'm booked there for May and July, '08...

We are thrilled to let you know that we will be offering six new beautiful waterfront suites this spring. Located directly over the Gulf of Mexico, they offer incredible views and balconies that sit right on the edge of sunset.

We also have a new beachfront restaurant called HarbourView Café which took the place of our One Duval Restaurant. Enjoy a casual setting that offers terrace or indoor panoramic seating, along with a menu of fresh local seafood, and seasonal Florida shell fish. Join us in the HarbourView Café, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily.

Other exciting news is the planned renovation of the interiors of all of our rooms and suites. Pier House Resort has always been a unique and relaxed destination for our guests, and our new décor will continue that tradition. Beautiful traditional island furnishings, soothing colors and organic materials combined with natural textures, will create the authentic island experience.

In keeping your comfort and experience in mind, we have scheduled the renovations this spring and summer to take place in stages. The resort’s rooms will be closed in sections so that no occupied guest rooms will be in the same building as the building under renovation.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have. We can be reached at 800-327-8340 or 305-296-4600. We look forward to the opportunity to host your stay.

Pjk

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 06:06 AM

PIER HOUSE

Just had to mention that I had a friend who stayed at Pier House (female) over New Years. She spent well over $4000 during her stay. The service overall was mediocre at best with the exception with a couple of employees. The highlight of her trip was on the last night at this hotel, she stopped at one of the bars for a drink and two large men (employees) grabbed her and with a lot of force began to remove her from the premises. She kept asking them where they were taking her and the only thing they would say is that she was not a guest and did not belong there. She tried to tell them she was and after being manhandled to the front of the building they finally led her up to where she claimed her room was. They were rather shocked when she presented a key to the room and opened it. There was no apology and the next day they said that the bartender said that on the previous day, that my friend threw a drink at him. Of course this was case of mistaken identity. My friend said that this bartender was very rude to her after ignoring her at the bar. My friend contacted management about this incident and they said they were too busy to respond to this incident.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 06:17 AM

"The highlight of her trip was on the last night at this hotel, she stopped at one of the bars for a drink and two large men (employees) grabbed her and with a lot of force began to remove her from the premises. She kept asking them where they were taking her and the only thing they would say is that she was not a guest and did not belong there."

All of the bars and restaurants at the Pier House are open to the public. There is no restriction that you have to be a guest to be there. So why would security single out your friend?

Pjk