Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Side Trip from NYC-either Cape Cod or the Hamptons!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to NYC for a work meeting in mid Sept. I want to take a side trip to somewhere very relaxing right on the water for a week or so. Going with my hubby and 3 mos olf baby. Was thinking of renting a house in the Hamptons or Cape Code. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:40 PM

The Hamptons are much closer to NYC than the Cape, obviously, and offer more transporation options. I suggest you do a text search of this forum for numerous threads about the Hamptons.

Good luck!
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 09:18 PM

While the Cape is certainly a lot further than the Hamptons it might offer more options. Have you also considered Oceanfront Resorts?

Some of the best on Cape Cod:
Chatham Bars Inn; Wequassett Inn; Red Jacket Beach Resort; Ocean Edge Resort; Sandcastle Resort.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:44 AM

Agree that the Hamptons is much closer to NY - and the chances for warm (swimming) weather are better. I'm not sure if you can rent a house for a week - usually they are larger than you would want and rent by the month or season. You may want to try Sag Harbor - where I think cottages may be available for shorter periods.

There is a ton to do besides the beach - including visiting wineries, exploring colonial sites, taking in Montauk etc.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 06:07 AM

Hi again. As others have mentioned, the Cape is a much further drive (I think something like 5 hrs.) and it will probably be much cooler weather.

It might be difficult (but not impossible) to find a house rental. You might be better with one of the motel/condos in East Hampton, Amagansett or Montauk that have kitchenettes and are right on the beach. The Panoramic View in Montauk is one.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

There are also cottage complexes (not fancy but very serviceable) across from the beach. Lenharts has one bedrooms

http://www.montauklife.com/motel-lenharts.html

You mentioned in your other post that you have friends in Westhampton. I'm not really familiar with places there, but if you want to stay closer to them but not in Westhampton, East Quogue is supposed to be nice and there are plenty of options in Southampton.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 06:42 AM

Ohhh I am longing to be in Montauk again or Shelter Island!
I would think of one is in NY already, the beaches of NY would be the best choice for a holiday.
There are always houses available that did not rent, because they are too expensive usually. But best thing to do is call the Montauk Chamber of Commerce and get some realtors numbers, and check through them.
There is Amagansett and Springs, which are very nice for a week. Sag Harbor is lovely but there are few rentals, any time of the year. There are condos along the Montauk Highway that rent, try that too!
Have a Lobster roll at Lunch for me please and a drink at the Dock at Gosmans~