Cape Cod or Mission Impossible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parents and recent college graduate wish to leave NYC , May 21st for a weekend exploring, driving around Cape Cod. We have to be back in NYC late Monday. Being from the Midwest, the ocean is the draw. Looking for suggestions as to what town should be our stopping point and starting the next day. I have read much on this board and I am confused, overwhelmed and thinking we might be biting off too much, and then again if I could just pinpoint one area and go from there. We are not interested in Martha’s Vineyard and if we don’t make it to Provincetown that would be ok. Also, in looking at accommodations, I seem to be jumping all over the place from B&B, inn’s, resorts, etc. Any suggestions here would be helpful as we are looking for the cleanest and most comfortable accommodations at a moderate price. Suggestions would be most appreciated and thank you very much.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 03:50 PM

You might want to splurge and go to either the Ocean Edge Resort in Brewster (which is on the bay side) or to the Chathams Bars Inn in Chatham (on the ocean side). From either place you could drive up to the national seashore to see the dunes and the beaches. The season doesn't really start until June so you might be able to get a deal.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 05:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.hyannisholiday.com
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:06 PM

I don't stay at motels/hotels as I have an aunt with a summer home in the area - Chatham is beautiful!!!! This is a place to chill and relax - seal watches are fabulous! Enjoy
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:07 PM

The All Seasons Motor Inn in South Yarmouth has consistently won Best Mid-Cape Motel by Cape Cod Life Magazine for the past 12 years.

Staying in the midCape area allows you the most flexibility for exploring sites/attractions in all fifteen towns of the Cape.

Ocean Edge and Chatham motels are not moderate priced.

This is just one of many accomodations in this area. Some other places mid-Cape: Lighthouse Inn; Red Jacket Beach Resort; Hyannis Harbor and Hyannis Hotel.

Again I think the Mid-Cape area is the best for a first-time visitor. It ncludes Hyannis, and the towns of Yarmouth and Dennis.

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! This is exactly what I need to zero in.... Wondering though, what about Wellfleet? Again, thanks.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 10:58 AM

I spent a few nights at the Ship's Knees Inn in Orleans. Orleans is smaller than Chatham but it has a couple of good restaurants. The town is well-situated mid-Cape. It's maybe a 15-minute drive to Chatham. The Ship's Knees is a couple of minutes' drive to town and about a 2 minute drive from Nauset Beach. Our room was cozy but clean and comfortable, and it had a small refrigerator. Breakfast is included with the cost of the room. Looks like they charge $130-145 at this time of year.
http://www.shipskneesinn.com/

Hope this helps!

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Wellfleet is good. You have the Bay beaches on one side and National Seashore beaches on the Atlantic Ocean on the other side.

The Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary and the National Seashore Salt Pond Visitor Center are located here.

Less than 30 minutes to Provincetown, and the Wellfleet Center is known for it's art galleries.

The only drawback is there are less motels to choose from than say mid-Cape area but you should be able to find something to your liking at this time of year.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:31 PM

I'm a huge fan of the Cape so would hate to put a damper on your plans....but it's a long way to go from NYC (5 to 6 hours without traffic) with only two nights to see it.

But if you are still game, I would second the idea of staying in Orleans (or maybe Eastham). Some moderately priced places (not luxury but decent motels) would be Skaket Beach Motel in Orleans or Town Crier in Eastham. I'm not partial to the Hyannis area (although it does have lots of hotels) as I don't think it has the real Cape feel. And the National Seashore is a treasure not to be missed and you have to get to Orleans or north for that.

Would say that you would have to leave the Cape no later than 11 a.m. on Monday to get back to NYC by dinner (you'll need to add time for commuter traffic along 95 after 4 p.m.).