Shout Out to SAnParis2 and others in regard to Holden Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I will be headed to Holden Beach, NC for a week this summer (June). It will be our first time to the area and we are really looking forward to it.

I'm hoping you'll see this SAnParis2 (or if anyone else out there has input on Holden Beach that would be great too) and wouldn't mind sharing some tips with us on the area. We will be renting a home there and have plans on bringing the beach toys, bikes, games, reading material, and our bikes.

We are not into fancy, love the outdoors, seafood by the coast (Love anything crab), and just spending time together as a family.

While most days we will be packing a picnic, or making dinner at home (rental house), is there any restaurants we should not miss? Or how about any other places/towns that shouldn't be missed (say north of Holden but within an easy driving distance)?

Thank you in advance!
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:08 AM

If you've not been, I would suggest one dinner in Calabash, just down the coast a piece & the home of 'Calabash-style' seafood (ie. fried everything). My favorite is Ella's, as they tend to offer more non-fired items + have great oysters & such when in season. Depending on how far you want to drive, Southport is worth the trip (or Wilmington if you wish to venture farther). For fresh seafood go no farther than under the bridge on the island side to Capt. Pete's (I think) (Still Jesse's too me, the guy who ran the place & passed a couple of years ago, you'll see a pic/memoriam behind the counter. Opal & crew will take good care of you.) Go early afternoon after the boats have come back, they'll be lined up out the door by 3. If you are going to take shrimp home w/you (in quantity) make the drive to Varnumtown, just follow the signs the road (literally) dead ends into 2 or 3 shrimp joints. You'll find as much as you want right off the boat, at the best prices. My favorite local place to eat is The Provision Co. (also one in Southport on the water). The one in Holden is under the bridge on the mainland side. Get the special (likely fresh fish). It is no frills, eat on the waterway, casual dining. I think you'll miss softshell (crab) season but if they are in season, they will have them @ Capt. Pete's by the dozen. I hope you enjoy your stay. It has been a family tradition of ours for nearly 50 years & the Holden family has done a great job of limiting development & such on the island. It is not, however, for everyone, as there is noting to do there, but relax & enjoy family of course. If you have any other specifics, I'll do my best to answer them + there are some old posts on here which I am assuming you have already perused. Enjoy, I'll be down there in July myself. Where are you traveling from ?
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:33 AM

Some other helpful info - www.southport-oakisland.com - http://www.townofcalabash.net/ - www.ncbrunswick.com
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

You are correct SAnParis2 - I did have a look at the older postings, in fact that is how I came to the conclusion that you were the Fodors "Go to Person for Holden
Beach!"

I'd like to thank you so much for taking the time to fill me in on the area as it continues to sound absolutely perfect for us.

As the departure date gets closer I more than likely will be hitting you up for more info. One such question will probably be - What route to you take to get down there? - as it appears we only live about 30 minutes apart (at most).

p.s. appreciate the links too!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:56 AM

Where are you traveling from ? I am actually in Matthews now (used to be in Elizabeth). We take 74 to just past Lake Waccamaw to 211 (there is a light, & probably a vegetable stand if in season, turn right). As soon as you cross 17, you'll take another right (+ there is a sign) That is Stone Chimney Rd. I believe. It is actually a tad farther than cutting down thru Whiteville, but both Whiteville & Shallotte can get very clogged up on Saturdays, so you'll likely avoid about an extra 1/2 hour of traffic going this way. We've gone down there w/all types over the years & the good part is you are only about 45 minutes from N. Myrtle (if someone likes that) & about the same to Wilmington, although we usually visit Southport. Plenty of good golf in the area as well. The best ice cream (in my opinion)is off island over by the Food Lion, my 2nd choice would be the one nearest the bridge (on island). Ice cream seems to be very important while you are @ the Beach... Enjoy !
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:57 AM

In Calabash, the Calabash Seafood Hut is one of the best.

The summer I lived in N. Myrtle Beach we'd eat lunch there every Tuesday and Friday.
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

to SAnParis2 - Thanks once again for all the great information. We will be coming from the York County area in SC so we'll have no problem taking the route you suggested.

Our thoughts were that we would head down to Wilmington one of the days but we may have to head into Southport instead?

to GoTravel - I would like to thank you too for suggesting the Calabash Seafood Hut. While we have been to N.Myrtle Beach/Myrtle Beach we have never tried any of the Calabash eateries (go figure?)
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:04 AM

Wilmington is more of a city w/more 'city stuff' & the Battleship North Carolina. Southport is a somewhat sleepy little seaport town w/lots of quaint little shops & restaurants, etc. Of course, anything you can do to get around Monroe (in lieu of 74) would also be better, which I am sure you are aware.
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Okay so we are back from Holden Beach and could not have had a better time. I just wanted to come back on here, and thank you SAnParis2 for your assistance.

There are only two things that I am kicking myself over and the first is heading down 74 on our way to HB (I knew better then heading that way, and you did try to warn me but I did it anyway - go figure)? Anyway after we finally made it through Monroe, NC we did take the route you suggested (211/Stone Chimney Rd) and did not hit a bit of traffic. The other swift kick is not making it to Southport (we did a day trip to Wilmington instead) but I know we will be back to the area so next time it is!

The things we did do and Loved!
Biking, looking for shells, boogie boarding, eating, sightseeing, walking along the beach, and relaxing!

A few of the places we ate at, or got food from and Loved!
Captain Pete's Fish Market (two different times, great seafood and super people that work there). I might add after I cleaned and deveined a pound of shrimp it is well worth the $1.50 a pound they charge to do this for you at Capt. Pete's (unfortunately I did not think to ask them if they even did this, nor did I see the sign until the second time I went to the market-DUH! live and learn)
The Provision Co: (again two different times). Not fancy by any means but darn good food.
Haley's Ice Cream (sit out on the deck over looking the beach and eat your ice cream)-didn't see the ice cream place by Food Lion?
The Purple Onion (Shallotte, NC) we went here 3 different times for breakfast. Well worth the drive, low prices, and the bakery items are to die for.

There is more I know I have missed but it is late so I think I will have to come back and add more later.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:50 AM

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Perhaps the ice cream place near the Food Lion has closed ? Will check it out soon, we'll be there next month. If so, then you found the next best option. Where is the Purple Onion ? We seldom go into Shallotte anymore but options are a good thing.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Oh it's possible I overlooked the ice cream place by Food Lion but I've been known to have a pretty good radar system when it comes to those kind of places.

The Purple Onion is off of Main St. in Shallotte (in the Cheers Plaza). It's right on the corner of the small little plaza, left hand side coming from Holden (and just down the road from Wally World). I have provided their menu (keep in mind while we ate there 3 different times it was for breakfast only - check out their prices though - which I thought were excellent - and the selection for lunch and dinner looks pretty appealing too).

http://www.realpagessites.com/artcat...kfastlunch.pdf

If you do happen to get away from Holden for a bit there is a place that I wanted to check out but it was closed when we went by (it looks interesting). It is called Lockwood Folly Marketplace.
http://www.lockwoodfollymarketplace.com/index.php

Thanks again and have a great time next month!
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:31 AM

What a great find, we will certainly check it out. (Probably just stop on the way in, actually).