Restaurants & markets for large family in Nassau

Old Apr 26th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants & markets for large family in Nassau

My family is renting a home with full kitchen on Eastern Road (far east tip of Island) in Nassau (see location @ http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rent... to celebrate my Dad's 60th Birthday at the end of May.

We are planning on cooking breakfast and lunch most days and eating out most evening but with 10 adults and 4 children (all under 2 years old!), I fear that many restaurants will be either very expensive and/or won't be able to accomodate such a large crowd without reservations every night!

I am looking for suggestions on where to get local produce/food for cooking as well as where are the best places to eat for dinner (or the occasional lunch). We are renting two minivans for the week we are there but again, i am not sure about parking avaliability at many of the restaurants I have seen recommended on here. From our location, I am guessing that there will not be any restaurants within walking distance of the home?

I was also hoping that someone could tell me what the average meal is going to cost us per person (dinner). I know that it varies widely, but everything that I've seen recommended on Chowhound and TripAdvisor seems to be in the $50 per person range for dinner (without alcohol) and honestly that is a little pricey for a family of 12 to do every night! Are there decent places that are cheaper or is that just what to expect for Nassau?

Lastly, we are not picky eaters and LOVE to eat local cuisine and try new things but with little kiddies, obviously it can't be upscale!

Thanks for the input.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 02:38 PM

We've been to a couple of supermarkets on the island. One was out towards the far west of the island so probably impractical for you but the other was about 15 mins from the airport in the direction of Cable Beach.

I'm sure if you ask at the car rental agency they will provide a map and directions to your nearest large store.

Here are some things we noted while shopping
Some things are ridiculously priced! If you try to stick to brands you know you'll pay 4x the price or more as everything is imported. Breyers icecream was $15 a quart for example! Fresh milk was about double the price. Local brands were cheaper .. for example local bread was cheap.

We didn't do any cooking but we did buy fresh fruit from roadside stands (bananas and papaya) and snacks plus fruit from the grocery stores.

For local, non upscale restaurants check out the Fish Fry. This area is actually several restaurants and shacks that serve local food and lunch would cost about $15 a head and maybe $20 for dinner (maybe a little more for catch of the day).
We found a great Chinese restaurant which was walking distance from Orange Hill Inn where we stayed (turn left out of OHI and drive towards town and it is the in the shopping area on the right just yards past the airport turn off). Dinner was about $25 a head for more food than we could eat and very good.
There's a liquor store there too.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 02:43 PM

There are a few cheaper restaurants on Paradise Island for example there's a Johnny Rockets in the Atlantis marina village area and a couple of pizza places.

Don't worry you'll find places to eat!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to post what we've found when I get back too.

I had heard about the Fish Fry before but wasn't sure on the pricing - so thanks for that info. I had also heard though that the service there is incredibly slow (waiting over an hour to get your food) and am a little concerned about taking four kids under two there with nothing to do but wait for over an hour! Did you find this to be true? Any personal experiences would be great.

Thanks again.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:12 AM

No we were served very quickly at the Fish Fry both times. It does get busy so avoid peak times. Go early for lunch (as soon as they open we were there around noon) and I imagine you'll eat dinner fairly early with kids so you should be fine.

As you're such a large group do bear in mind the casual nature of the place and don't expect all 10 meals to come out of the kitchen together. Usually these small restaurants have one or maybe two wait staff.

We were a party of 4 and there was a gap of about 5 minutes between our meals (first the 2 chicken lunches arrived then 5 minutes later the fish... didn't make sense as fish is quicker to cook than chicken but that's how it was!). So it's freshly cooked to order but not in any order you'd expect LOL.

There are many restaurants there so just walk around and choose somewhere that's not packed with people but preferably not empty either as there's a reason places are busy!

If you're more concerned about good service then you'll probably be better off at the restaurants around the marina that have more staff (higher prices).

Have a great trip!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:43 PM

Since your staying on eastern road, Montague Gardens would be a great choice for your group. It's just across the street from Montaque Beach/Fort Montague.

Prices are very nice, and selection is diverse.
We had dinner for 5 adults a few weeks back with a drink/wine for most and the bill came to about $130.