Shopping Weekend....

Apr 15th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Sarah

Shopping Weekend....

Hi, my 2 friends and I are coming to New York at the end of the month, we have done most of the site-seeing bits before and therefore would like to concentrate on shopping for the weekend. We will be arriving at Friday lunchtime and leaving on Monday morning so really have 2 and a half days. Could anyone provided any suggestions as to how to make the most of these 2 and a half days. Im staying at the Hyatt at Grand Central Stn (also booked through priceline).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Apr 15th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Lori

You should take a bus to the Woodbury Commons Outlet Center in Harriman, about 45 minutes from NYC. All of the major designers are there - Prada, Gucci, Lauren, Donna Karan, Calvin Klein, etc.

Apr 15th, 2002, 07:50 AM
hmm

The ride to Harriman is closer to 1 and half Hours. Great place but I think you should try Canal Street. Most of the shops are closed on Saturday. Do the Village and SOHO on Saturday.

Apr 15th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Sarah

Thanks for the feedback, sorry, but what is closed of a saturday and what is best to go to on the saturday?

Thanks

Apr 21st, 2002, 09:13 AM
Topping

Topping for Sarah

Apr 21st, 2002, 10:58 AM
Cathy

Sarah, you don't say where you are coming from - but I am going to assume whatever State, you have a sales tax- for just shopping for fun NY is fine, do 5th Avenue - if you are really looking to buy you want to pop over the George Washington Bridge into NJ it's mall heaven but there are no sales tax on clothing. SO for example less then 10 miles from the GW Bridge on Rt. f you'll have in Hackensack (RIverside Square) small mall with a good Bloomingdale's and Sacks 5th Avenue - food is limited to Houston's and a good Cheesecake Factory. Continue West on Rt. 4 at the intersection of Rt. 17 (north) and Rt. 4 and you have the largest of the area malls, Garden State Plaza, you can spend days here with Macy's, Lord and Taylor's , Nordstrom's, Neiman Marcus,Banana Republic, J Crew, Gap Etc... a number of designer shops, as well as catalog stores, a food cort and a very good selection of sit down restaurants. On Rt. 17 North, you have Paramus Park (a mall in transition with a Macy's and Sears, Nature Company and a great Lindt Chocolate Store - not much worth stopping but that is only my opinion, the next mall also small is The FAshion Center- this is Lord & Taylors, Best Buy.Com, Toys-R-Us (detached but next door to the mall) and Kalkin Store plus their outlet - all of these malls are within 2 miles of each other, on bus roots ( public transportation in NJ sucks) by the way if you continue on Rt. 17 North across the state line into NY you are heading towards Woodbury Common as posted and also the Palisades mall which is a combination of every NJ mll but remember NY has sales tax. Also Note, the Malls I noted in NJ are all in Bergen County - Bergen County maintains Blue Laws which does not allow the malls to be open on Sundays.
NJ is also hime of the outlet - that area is Secaucus, closer to the Lincoln Tunnel from NY and you really need a car to naviagate that maze - good luck, bring an empty credit cards - and

Apr 21st, 2002, 11:56 AM
Jess

Cathy, NYC has no tax on clothing under $110.
Sarah, If you are looking for unique, no-mall type clothing, head downtown. Canal Street is great for cheap acessories and knockoffs. Avoid Macys--its horribly crowded on the weekends and the staff is pretty rude. Go to Bloomingdales for a great shpping experience.

Apr 21st, 2002, 12:10 PM
Eva

Century 21 downtown!

Apr 21st, 2002, 12:27 PM
aaaaaaaa

The outlet mallsin Secaucus nj are great & open both Sat & Sun. It's not far from Manhatten & you can take public transportation. You may want to taxi back with all your bargains.
Have fun

Apr 21st, 2002, 12:41 PM
Janie

I'll address the out of town aspects here:
The outlets in Secaucus really haven't been anything special for a couple of years plus the different centers (3-4) are far apart--not easily walkable If you want to go out of NYC, definitely go to Woodbury Common. It's an outdoor upscale (many designers) shopping "village" and in a really beautiful area near Harriman state park. Though I would not normally not recommend renting a car in NY, this might be the one occasion worth it. I think the bus ride to Harriman costs somethinf like $35 per person--for 3 of you, that's $105, probably about the price of a one day car rental. If you go by car, it's just over a one hour drive, through pretty scenery and you can detour to areas like Sugar Loaf a crafts village with a nice restaurant. also, you're not stuck with the bus schedule. If you do want to rent a car. look into it now (usually you can still cancel ) Although it's not as crazy in April as in the summer, most NYers don't have cars and so rent on the weekends if they want to get out of the city in nice weather (we're one of the few places where weekend car rentals are more expensive than midweek/business rates). (You can sign up on the woodbury common website to get a voucher for a coupon book, the same one they offer as a bonus on the bus trips).
If you want to get out of the city but still closer to NYC, try Jersey Gardens. It's a huge indoor outlet/discount mall right near Newark Airport and IKEA. Busses go from Port Authority bus station in midtown for the half hour ride, probably about $3-4 each way.

Apr 21st, 2002, 01:01 PM
Howard

Previous posters recommending Woodbury Common hit the bullseye! There are more than 200 (maybe 250) stores there, with most of the top designers and retailers included--from Fendi to Hugo Boss, from Neiman Marcus to Saks, from Gucci to Armani, etc., etc., etc., etc. It's considered one of the best in the US.
And yes, it's worth renting a car and spending some time in the area.

Apr 25th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Sarah

Thanks for all your responses, it has been really helpful in putting an itinerary together. We are coming tomorrow from London so hopefully the weather will be kind to us....

Apr 25th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Sally

Looks like we missed the Heat Wave Sarah. Never mind I'm sure we will have the most excellent time ever!

Apr 25th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Daniel

Ahhh Sarah and Sally - if my investigations serve me correct - you must be two parts of the 3 girls visiting NY this Weekend. Who is number 3? You will have a blast.

Apr 25th, 2002, 07:02 AM
carole

Topping for Kerry....

Apr 25th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Sally

Yes we are! Just another girlfriend of ours who doesn't have internet access! What does "Topping for Kerry...." Mean???

Apr 25th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Merilee

Hi Sarah...hopefully you'll read this before you leave for NY...the weather forecast for tomorrw is mostly sunny with a high of 63...Saturday sun and clouds with a high of 58...Sunday rain is likely with a high of 62...there's another outlet mall in Elizabeth, New Jersey (across the Hudson River from the city) called Jersey Gardens that has many fantastic stores such as Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Gap, Off 5th which is Saks 5th Avenue, Last Call which is Neiman Marcus just to name a few...I only mention it because it is a much shorter ride from the city than the ride to Woodbury Commons...however, Woodbury Commons is a great place to shop also...although you would have to walk about 8 blocks along a busy road there's a new Super Wal-Mart near Woodbury Commons (kind of like your Woolies, but much larger)...they sell items such as Lee Jeans and Wrangler Jeans at very inexpensive prices along with many other brand names.

Search this Thread