Search

Dana Point/Laguna

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Jim

Dana Point/Laguna

Will be spending a week in Dana Point in mid April.

Need recommendations for day trips, historical sites, cultural sites.

Recommendations for dining would also be appreciated. Will be staying at the Marriott in Dana Point. We are into seafood in a big way. Daughter is Vegan.

Any wine tasting in area? Have been to Napa, etc.

Is Catalina day trip feasible? Details would be helpful.

Is it worthwhile to run down to San Diego for a look see?Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 12:30 PM
hi

Great area.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Bobbi

Not much culturally there. Mission San Juan Capistrano is nearby. Make sure to check out the galleries in Laguna Beach. San Diego is about 45 minutes south and LA is about an hour north. The Queen Mary is in Long Beach. South Coast Plaza is a designer mall (Versace, etc) is in Costa Mesa.

Catalina is very viable and a great day trip.

Oh and my favorite cafe in Dana Point....the Renaissance.

Have a great trip!

Bobbi

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:37 PM
steve

If you don't have a car or don't want to make the drive, you can take the train (or coaster) from san Juan Capistrano to San Diego.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 05:38 PM
xxx

While not in the same league as Napa, Temecula Valley is a popular wine tasting region.

San Diego is worth a visit.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:06 AM
David

Jim,

Although I haven't been to Dana Point for several years, I do know that there is still a boat leaving from there and going to Catalina on a daily basis. At that time of year, however, I believe there is only one departure per day and that it leaves at around 9:45am. Your hotel should know the name of the company and be able to book your reservation for you.

As for restaurants, I don't know if it's still there but there used to be a place right on the cliffs overlooking the bay called "The Quiet Cannon". If it's still there you may want to ask the concierge at your hotel if it's still any good: it had incredible views and food in its day. Also, Laguna beach is only about ten miles away and offers a multitude of fresh seafood choices. Have fun!

David

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:16 AM
amy

Jim,

A great place for seafood that's right on the water in downtown Laguna is Las Brisas! I would make a reservation before you leave. It's written up on this site.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:20 AM
michele

Jim,
The Cannon ( think the "quiet " is gone) is still there. I had lunch there and the food was very good. Fish, lots of salads, pastas..nice view of the ocean, too.

For cultural activities: Laguna Playhouse, there are jazz spots in Dana Point, and the Laguna Beach art museum.

Other area restaurants: Pascal's Epicerie in Newport Beach: casual deli side or restaurant...French..lots of salads for the vegan, Cafe Mozart in San Juan Cap, pretty patio dining, German food plus good fish, L'ghirondelle in San Juan Cap, Belgian/French, good variety, vegetable crepes, salads, patio dining also. (Both of these are reasonable). Five Feet in Laguna Beach is highly recommended by many ...Polynesian/Californian.

There's also the Coyote Grill in Laguna for good Mexican.

Hope that helps.

M.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Anthony

The Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton is an excellent restaurant...perhaps Top 10 in all of Southern California.

For the full experience expect about $100 a head. The good news is that it will satisfy your wine craving. A restaurant of this quality will also accomodate your daughter's needs.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 09:07 AM
michele

did you ever complete your stay at the marriott resort in dana point. we are looking to go there, but the rooms look dumpy on the web site, and the ratings of it on the fodors site were not great. would appreciate your opinion if you went.