SFO: Giants games and tourism on Oct. 1

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All - My husband and I are traveling from Idaho to SFO on October 1-4 to go to three Giants games. I am looking for hotel advice. We are flying into SFO and will not have a car. Games are Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday afternoon. We will want to explore SFO sites during the day and then get to AT&T Park for the games. Should we stay near Fisherman's Wharf? Any recommendations? We would look for a mid-range hotel versus economy.

Thanks!
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 07:47 AM

I would consider staying in the Embarcadero area. I think there is an easy train to the ballpark from there, and it is closer than Fisherman's wharf.

Unsure if the Hyatt Regency fits your definition of mid-range, but I got a good deal on it last year in September. It's a very nice hotel, right across from the Ferry Building.
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 08:05 AM

I was thinking the Embarcadero area too. Union Square would be convinient as well. I think it is the N-Judah line that runs along (under) Market Street and then comes above ground around Embarcadero and goes over to the baseball park. Very easy. Also, from either of those areas, sightseeing during the day will be easy - you will be either walking distance to things or have lots of choices for public transportation.

I've had good luck with Priceline in SF in the Union Square East and Embarcadero zones.
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 08:08 AM

we stayed at the courtyard by marriot on 2nd st and it was so convenient for giants game. pretty nice hotel, not too expensive...
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for your great suggestions! I'll check out hotels near Embarcadero and also the Marriott.
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 12:48 PM

I live in SFO, I work next door to the Hyatt Regency, and I have season tickets to the Giants!

I also would opt for the Embarcadero area. We park here daily, and when we have game tickets, we just leave our car in our regular parking space and walk. We did this last night. It's a 25-min. walk at a slow pace from Embarcadero 4 to the ballpark (1-1/4 miles). While the Courtyard is fairly convenient, it's not otherwise in a great location in my opinion because it's surrounded by office buildings and nothing else. I would definitely take a look at Priceline and Hotwire -- although I don't stay in hotels here, I'm told you can often get a great deal.

I just checked Hotwire and there's nothing for the Embarcadero area, except the Omni on hotels.com (which show on Hotwire if Hotwire doesn't have any discounts for the area) for $220 a night. I guess there's more going on in town that weekend other than the Giants games if there's nothing at all available on Hotwire.

As an aside, are you Giants fans? You couldn't be coming for a better series!! We'll be there that Saturday night too.
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Did I say I live in SFO - wow, I must be tired. First, SFO is the airport, not the city, and second, I work here, but I no longer live here
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, sf7307. I am going to check out the Omni. Sounds good for a walk to the ball park. Is it a safe walk back afterwards? My husband is a big Giants fan and this is my present to him. We picked up tickets from StubHub and are really excited about going.
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 01:42 PM

Yes, it's a safe walk -- we always walk both ways. You won't be alone!
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Update: Got a room at the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero area. Thank you all. I'll touch base with this wonderful group later to get tips on what to see and do while in San Francisco (between Giants games of course).
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 06:03 PM

Great - you'll be very happy with your choice!
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 08:23 PM

Are tickets still avilable? I am going to check right now! Boy would my boys be happy!
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

I went through StubHub and found that it was a really good interface for buying tickets. This is a reseller site 9buy or sell). You can choose your price point and then see a graphic of the stadium with available seats. I paid with PayPal and was able to download my tickets within 24 hours.
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 09:00 PM

Yes to Stub Hub-we got great seats for Giants games
in the next few weeks. We had excellent choices
in the Lower Box seats behind home plate and at
fair prices. The Giants website
only had Lower Box tickets in the far corners
of left field.

R5
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 06:47 PM

If you want something to do on Friday and Saturday before the games, there's a great concert venue in Golden Gate Park and it's free.

http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/