Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need SF Hotel for 6-8 moms, central loc. Wharf?

Jul 31st, 2005, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

We are 6-8 moms from Sacramento escaping to SF the weekend of Sept 10-11. We plan to do Alcatraz, Pier 39, shop, etc. None of us are new to SF, but don't know the hotel scene. We've looked online for the big chain hotels near Fisherman's wharf. I read some other posts here about boutique hotels in SF. I'm holding out hope for a charming boutique place that can accomodate 3 to a room! Most seem like honeymooner spots. We just need a central location for a "base of operations." We realize we are looking at $100-$200 a night, which we'll split. Thanks!
Jul 31st, 2005, 12:21 PM

Just got back from SF and stayed at the Argonaut. Great location if you want to stay at/near the Wharf. It is next to the cablecar turnaround and across from Ghiradelli Square. Lovely boutique hotel. Our room was clean and quiet (even though we faced a busy street). They have a wine reception every afternoon in the cozy lobby.
Jul 31st, 2005, 05:13 PM

Hi, codysmom!

(How's cody?)

This sounds like a perfect time to use Priceline. Check out biddingfortravel.com first and learn well how to bid.

If you bid FOUR star, about $80, and Union Square East (USE), you will probably get one of the Hyatts - either the Grand Hyatt right on Union Square or the Hyatt Regency at the Embarcadero. Some bids at that price seem to be getting the Omni instead of the Hyatts.

Don't bid Union Square West. It's not necessary.

Fisherman's Wharf is the number one hotel destination in San Francisco. Number two is Union Square. The hotels around Fisherman's Wharf tend to be kindof blah block buildings "family-oriented" hotels. If you are looking for a "boutique" hotel, try bidding on USE.

After you win your bid, call the hotel and request two queen beds, otherwise you may get a king. Some hotels will allow a rollaway to be brought in, either at no charge or at a small charge. But, at those rates, personally, I'd opt to stay two persons to a room and luxuriate.

If you have more questions, just come back here and ask. Fodorites are very helpful people!

Good luck!
Jul 31st, 2005, 09:26 PM

ttt
Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:56 AM

Just back from my 6th trip....For the plans you have, I would definitely stay near the Wharf. You're going to want to start every day there from the sound of your plans, so you can minimize "schlepping," particularly if you only have a weekend.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:26 PM

Here I go again about the Wharf.

If you are moms & want to shop, why would you go to Pier 39 or concentrate on the Wharf? Your kids might enjoy it, but most moms & mom age women that I know (including my wife), stay away from the wharf & pier 39. I don't think my wife has been to either place in over 25 years (except for a glance to check them out) - and she loves to shop.

Shop downtown on Sat, and Union/Chestnut area, and Fillmore districts on Sun. Most stores are open in this latter area on Sunday & many are closed downtown.

On Sunday, take a SF City Guides free walking tour of the Haight/Ashbury or of Victorian San Francisco for something different. See:
www.sfcityguides.org

Shop Haignt Ashbury for a blast from the past after the walking tour (and hope you don't run into one of your daughters/sons there), or shop Fillmore St before the Victorian tour.

Stu Dudley
San Mateo, Ca