Search

SF Things to Do

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 07:00 PM
mt-x

SF Things to Do

Okay, my trip to the bay area is coming up soon. We got reservations for the nightime Alcatraz trip (woohoo). Let's see...we want to visit the following: Chinatown, Haight-Ashbury (during the daytime hours), Tiburon or Sausalito Golden Gate Park (maybe) Golden Gate Bridge (maybe) We're going to be there 3 days and 3 nights so can we do at least half of the stuff above? How do we dress for nightime alcatraz...hats, mittens and warm coat?

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:03 AM
J Correa

Yes, you will definitely be able to do most of that in 3 days/3 nights.

Definitely dress warm for the Alcatraz tour - that goes for anytime you go out on the bay.

Layers are always a good idea in SF because temperatures can vary greatly depending on location and time of day.

I would do the bridge and GG park on the same day - there is plenty to do and see there to occupy you all day long.

Chinatown and the Haight can be seen in the same day, leaving the 3rd day to take a ferry over to Sausalito.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Faina

You can combine Sausalito and Golden Gate bridge - if you walk from downtown Sausalito along the waterfront you end up on the bridge. Or you can take Golden Gate system bus to the bridge.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 11:42 AM
greg

If you have time, about 15 miles north of San Fran is the Muir Woods Redwood Forest. It could be incorporated in a Sausalito trip. My wife and I took about a 1/2 day and went to Muir Woods, which we loved and then ended with dinner in Sausalito overlooking SF at sunset. It was unbelievable.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 11:59 AM
kam

Dress warm for walking the bridge too. Most importantly think windbreaker rather than woolies. If you hate you hair flying and cold ears, I would bring a simple hat. Good shoes for Alcatraz--no sandals.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:47 PM
mt-x

Thanks for all the helpful and friendly advice.
One question though...what is a woolie?

How cold does it get going over to Alcatraz at night? Would a turtleneck and jacket do? Or a wool pullover w/turtleneck? I have gloves and hat. I'm just trying to get my wardrobe together....thanks again.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:02 AM
Faina

I think what Kam ment is when it's a windy day a woolen knitted sweater is almost useless, as the wind gets in the loop holes, and you feel freezing to the bones, the best thing for SF is a wind-proof windbreaker.