1 1/2 days in San Francisco with teens. Help!

Jun 19th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

1 1/2 days in San Francisco with teens. Help!

We will be on our way home from a long cross country trip and will have only 1 1/2 days in San Francisco with 4 teens ages 15 - 20. Can anyone suggest something that might be interesting for them (and us) to do? We were thinking maybe Alcatraz or driving to Muir woods. Thanks for any help
Jun 19th, 2006, 01:27 PM

With 1 1/2 days I would not personally go to Muir Woods. There is enough to do in SF.

- Alcatraz (reserve tix ahead of time)
- Fisherman's Wharf (very touristy but fun for teens)
- Giants Game
- Shop Union Square
- Golden Gate Park
- Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge (park on the SF side)
- Chinatown
- Drive down Lombard Street

...etc etc etc
Jun 19th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

saps, Can you get Alcatraz tix on-line? Is there a large parking lot at the golden gate bridge, i.e. is it hard to get a spot? Are there things to do at Golden Gate park? Thanks for your suggestions.
Jun 19th, 2006, 02:19 PM

Hey frogs

Get alcatraz tickets from

http://www.blueandgoldfleet.com/alcatraz_service.htm

This is the only way to get to "The Rock". You can wait until you get to SF to get tickets however on busy days the ferries sell out. I just ordered some for my fiancee who has lived in the Bay Area for 35 years and has never been to Alcatraz. You get the ferry at Pier 41, it is right next to the very touristy Pier 39.

For the GG Bridge, right before you get to the bridge there is an exit on the right hand side. There is a a big parking lot and you can walk to the bridge from here (I've never had a problem getting a spot). If by chance you miss it and go over the bridge there is a parking lot on the other side. You will have to pay $5 to drive back into SF.

GG Park has lots to do...museums, tea gardens, picnic areas, etc.

http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide...s/ggpark.shtml

Have fun.
Jun 19th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks saps. Great info!
Jun 19th, 2006, 03:04 PM

Dear frogsinthecreek,

Maybe they would also enjoy the Ghirardelli shop...I know I did!! YUMMIE!

http://www.ghirardelli.com/shops/ghirardellisq.aspx

Have a fun and safe trip!
Jun 19th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Take a bus to the bridge. Walk the bridge all the way to Sausalito. Have lunch there. Take the ferry back to the city.
Jun 19th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Just returned from visit to San Francisco with an 11-year old and a 14-year old. Night visit to Alcatraz was a big hit. It is only available on Thurs.-Sun. Take the 6:30 boat and then you can stay late (after dark) or leave on an earlier boat (sunset). Make reservations online now. Explore Fisherman's Warf area and be sure to see the Sea Lions at Pier 39. We enjoyed the Union Square area - teen girl and her Mom enjoyed the new H&M clothing store - cheap and hip. Everyone also enjoyed the Apple Store and William-Sonoma (of all places). Cable Car rides are a sure-fire hit. Cable Car Museum is fascinating. Exploritorium is great if your family has science/nerd tendencies. Check out the "Tactile Dome" there for a truly unique experience for adults and kids (advance reservations required). We took the bike trip over the GG Bridge and loved it. Allow at least 3-4 hours including lunch in Sausalito (Blazing Saddles at the ferry building, Fisherman's Warf). Walk around Chinatown. Good luck and have fun!
Jun 20th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Great ideas. thanks everyone!
Jun 20th, 2006, 08:35 AM

My teenager enjoyed (1) Sony Metreon - state of the art in video games and entertainment; (2) Amoeba Records in the Haight near GG Park; oldest & biggest used CD/Record shop in existence.

I had fun at both places.

Jun 20th, 2006, 08:42 AM

At Fisherman's Wharf there is a WW11 submarine docked there. It is really cool to board the sub and smell the diesel and imagine what it was like for the guys going on patrol in that sub. They charge a small admission to board the sub.
Jun 20th, 2006, 08:46 PM

frogsin the creek...Thanks for the question! We are going to Hawaii with a 7 hr layover in San fran. Thought we might take a taxi(5 of us, with 2 teens)over to Wharf. Then we get a 10 layover after Hawaii. Any suggestions on transportation to Pier 39? Would love to do the cable car too. Never have been to San Fran!!
Jun 20th, 2006, 11:07 PM

Mountain Girl, if you will click on your name (next to the Welcome sign on the upper left hand side of the screen) or even your name on this post you will see the thread you started. There is info there for you including a website that I posted for you. It gives you all the transportation options you could want in SF. Best regards.
Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:53 PM

If you're going (coming to San Francisco be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

Oh, and have a crackin' good time!

http://tinyurl.com/j9jr7
Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:11 AM

Is it just me or does it seem sort of scary to plan any of these adventures knowing that you need to get to and from the airport and possibly wait in long security lines, etc. The SF airport is outside of SF a ways...so you need to plan accordingly based on traffic etc. Factoring all that in, you would still have quite a bit of time, but I wouldn't plan on biting off too much. Based on the limited number of hours you have, I'd ask for specific suggestions on what things you might be able to accomplish on either day based on the following.... What day(s) will you be in SF, and what are the hours you will have available? You might get some better thoughts based on those two pieces of info. I think it's great that you're going to go into the city and do something fun, I'd just be careful on what you choose to do and give yourself plenty of time. If you do have the time, Alcatraz is awesome, everyone will love it. The headset tour is so informative and makes the place "come alive." Have fun!!
Jun 25th, 2006, 02:02 PM

noryglory...
You are right, it is kid of scary to leave the airport when you have a plane to catch later on. That's why I was asking for advice. I've never been to SFO so I didn't know it was far from the Wharf. I think you are right in not biting off more than we can chew... We may just take the Bart down to the wharf and let that be the end of it.It's kind of scary that it's July 4th as well.Don't know if it will be crowded or not??? Thanks for you help!
Jun 25th, 2006, 03:44 PM

Alcatraz is a must--book ahead. Aside from that I think you all will enjoy just walking around that great city and seeing the sights.

When we stay in the Union Square area, we like to take a bus Filmore Street (a colorful shopping street).

We walk up Filmore Street to the top of the hill for fantastic views of the bay and Golden Gate Brige. Then we walk down through Cow Hollow to Chestnut Street and take another bus to Fisherman's Wharf (or walk).

When we've had enough of Fisherman's Wharf, we walk back to our hotel through North Beach and Chinatown. This makes for a wonderful day.

Have fun.