Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco: Sausalito, Marin Headlands, GG Bridge Day Trip

Jul 17th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Looking for some feedback/info on this rough daytrip concept.

Take Ferry to Sausalito, spend some time there (perhaps lunch?), then go to the Marin Headlands for city views before walking across the GG Bridge.

I thought this might be fun, but I'm not sure if its too far to walk the whole way.

How far is it from Sausalito to the Marin Headlands? What public transportation could be used?

Should we walk ALL the way across GG bridge or just do a short out and back to get a feel for structure (I heard it sways)?

Can you catch a bus from the Marin Headlands across the GG Bridge into SF?

Does it matter if we do this trip in the morning or afternoon?
Jul 17th, 2004, 08:40 AM

As far as I know the only bus that goes to the Marin Headlands is the 76 which is a MUNI bus (I could be wrong though) from San Francisco. From Sausalito to the Golden Gate, you can take the 10 which is a Golden Gate Transit bus. It is walking distance but you have to walk along a VERY narrow part of the freeway which is also used by bikers. The bridge is not too far to walk across--it can just be very cold.

I honestly might do Marin Headlands from a car. Just FYI you can see fantastic city views from the North vista point at the Golden Gate bridge (however the Marin Headlands gives you those cool shots looking through the bridge in front of the city).
Jul 17th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Degas, we took the ferry from the Ferry Terminal to Sausalito and back. Had lunch at a Thai restaurant a few blocks to the right of the landing.

We actually thought Sausalito was highly overrated. Would be interested in your thoughts.

The highlight of our trip was the ferry ride. Got some great shots leaving SF and entering Sausalito, bypassing Alcatraz from the North going, and the South returning.
Jul 17th, 2004, 09:47 AM

I wouldn't walk to the headlands. Do it by car if you can. Are you not renting a car? We drove to Sausalito and took in the Marin Headlands. you would be ableto fit in alot more if you drove.
Jul 17th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the inputs - I had a feeling this might not be easy to do without a car. We are renting one, but
only to leave the city and head south to Monterey for a few days at the end of the trip. Maybe the ferry ride and lunch is the way to go.
Jul 17th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Degas: I've noticed your humorous postings on the Europe board, but know very little about you. Is this a family trip? How old are your children?

I went in search of my GGNRA (Golden Gate National Recreational Area) map and the others had responded to you by the time the map made its appearance!

Certainly, it's doable, but probably not advisable, unless you are diehard hikers. The suggestion to either do the entire roundtrip by ferry, or to go to Marin County/Sausalito by car would be the best choices.

If you are truly interested in hiking all that distance, then it's probably better to go from SF to Sausalito, as it would be DOWNHILL most of the way.

You would go across the Golden Gate Bridge on the OCEAN side, then wind up at the batteries at Fort Barry. The road is Conzelman Road.

Then you can backtrack and take the road UNDER the freeway and continue on to Fort Mason. At Fort Mason, you can take East Road along the shore. Then, once outside GGNRA, you have to take some city streets in Sausalito. Try to keep as close to the shore as possible and get on Bridgeway, which is the main drag for Sausalito. Bridgeway will take you to where you can catch the ferry.

Total hike is about 8 to 10 miles, depending on how far westward you hike in the Marin Headlands. Going northward from SF to Sausalito would be a easy to moderate hike. Coming back southward from Sausalito to SF would be a moderate to strenuous hike.

You can also bike the distance and come back by ferry. Check out

www.sfguide.com/transportation

and check out the bike rentals section. There are several bike rental companies listed. All of them will let you bike the distance and then return via ferry.

If you want detailed maps of the hiking area, check out the website for the Golden Gate National Recreational Area. The GGNRA has some of the most beautiful national park areas in the Bay Area. If you are serious hikers, as I am, it will do well to get their map. The land on both sides of the Golden Gate Bridge belong to the GGNRA and the trails are well marked on their map.

If you were to drive across to the Marin Headlands ... highly recommend this - as the Vista Point is accessible only by car - then you can still do the ferry on another day without the car and maybe hike Angel Island instead.

Hope this helps!
Jul 17th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

easytraveler, thanks for the info. We like to hike, but might not be in shape for such a trek. Bikes may be an option, but the sight of me in tight bikers pants may disrupt traffic on the GG Bridge!

Just me and the "little wife" on this trip. My kids are either in college or starting careers. But I try to take each one of them alone on a trip each year - its my version of lightly forced "quality time." My bribes, uh, incentives cost me more and more as they get older and wiser.
Jul 18th, 2004, 07:27 AM

I rented a bike at fisherman's wharf, biked across the GG bridge, then on to Sausalito, walked around, had lunch, ice ceam, then took the ferry back to the wharf. It was a really good day. I initialy considered walking, and I'm glad I decided to bike. There's no sidewalk for most of the way and very little shoulder. At least on the bike it didn't take too long. I stopped several times on the bridge tfor pictures and to marvel at the fog and complete lack of view and was FREEZING. While biking I was so much more comfortable.
Jul 18th, 2004, 08:28 AM

Degas: "...the sight of me in tight biker pants may disrupt traffic on the GG bridge" LOL! Please tell me which day you are planning to bike across the GG Bridge! This is one sight I can't miss!

Thanks for the info on you and your "little wife". Wasn't being nosey, just that it's hard to plan for readers if we don't know how many, ages of children, etc.

BTW, if you are mini-hikers, there are several nice walks/hikes right in San Francisco. You could walk all/portion of north shore from Fisherman's Wharf, through Fort Mason, then the Marina, through Crissy Field, on to Fort Point. There's also all of the Presidio and Golden Gate Park to choose from!

GTG! Hiking calls! It's a beautiful day again in California! Welcome! Come soon!
Jul 19th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Degas, Hope your trip is soon and are planning on entertaining us with a "trip report". Our SF vacation starts August 17th and would like to hear your input!
Jul 19th, 2004, 11:59 AM

Maybe the reverse will be easier, I remember once getting lost walking from Sausalito, ending on the wrong side of the bridge which is for bikers only, and every biker yelled what they think of us all the way along the bridge

The GG bridge is served by bus 76 on sundays only, or buses 28 and 29 daily. The Golden Gate buses do now allow passengers to get off on the SF side.

It's very easy to walk over the bridge into Sausalito, and later ferry back.

Or you can take GG transit bus (it's not MUNI, the fast pass would not work)to Sausalito one way, ferry another. It's better to do it as a round-trip, not just ferry back and forth, for different views.