SF restaurants--Zuni, Foreign Cinema, A16

Jun 8th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

SF restaurants--Zuni, Foreign Cinema, A16

I've booked 3 restaurants for my travel to SF with 15-yr-old daughter.

Zuni Cafe--from reviews I understand the grilled (roast?) chicken is amazing but it's for 2 people. Since my daughter do not eat meat (seafood ok), how can I taste this delicious dish? Do they serve it any other way?

Foreign Cinema--is this area safe to stroll around before dinner at 7 pm? Any interesting stores in the areas to explore?

A16--How to get there from Union Square? Is the area safe at night?
Jun 9th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

I should post the food question on Chowhound,but would appreciate input on the safety issues here. Thanks if anyone would like to comment.
Jun 9th, 2007, 11:28 AM

We heard all the hype about Zuni and went there a few years ago.

We went at lunch when they were obviously catering to regular diners. They stuck us at a weird little table away from the action and generally treated us like visitors from outer space.

Maybe you'll have a different experience. I hope so.
Jun 9th, 2007, 09:16 PM

We had dinner last month at A16 http://www.a16sf.com/ and the food was excellant. Many famalies sharing their pizza. The Marina district with other restaurants and shops is a very safe area of SF. Take a taxi to get there.
Jun 9th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

Happytrails--Sorry about your exp. Did you like the food though?

JayZee--What time do the stores close in the Marina district? And other shopping areas in SF?
Jun 10th, 2007, 06:07 AM

We went to Zuni for lunch and, as Zagat Guide puts it, we were swooped upstairs to the “festive” “jigsaw of rooms” which felt to us like Sibera.

I had the hamburger and Caesar salad which were both very rich--too rich, in my opinion.

The problem wasn't the food. It was that we had gone to Zuni's inconvenient location for a reservation at a time we didn't want to be given short shrift while the local glitterati were fawned over. It wasn't pleasant.

However, as I said before, maybe you will have a different experience.
Jul 12th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Happytrails: Our Zuni experience turned out to be quite pleasant. We were, too, seated upstairs by a window looking over some construction trucks in the alley, probably because we were not "regulars" but we didn't mind at all. I made a point to tell our server that we were visiting and were really looking forward to an excellent meal. He was very attentive, and very helpful in every way. Our roasted chicken, caesar salad, expresso granita, and another chocolate dessert were delicious. I hope you get to go back for another try!