Search

SF-Places to Eat

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SF-Places to Eat

My wife and I will be spending part (4 days, 3 nights-over the weekend) of our 10-year anniversary vacation in SF in late June. We have made dinner reservations at Gary Danko, Slanted Door, and A16. I'm interested in any and all opinions on these restauarants. I am not sure where to go for other times of the day (brunch/lunch/take-out, etc.) We are staying at the Omni in the Finanical District, but are willing to venture (we will have a car as well). We leave in the NYC area so we have access to mnay great places; I am looking for places that are unique or special. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 06:57 PM

I've been to Gary Danko and Slanted Door and both are absolutely wonderful. Gary Danko is just a gem and a good value IMO for such wonderful food. We felt really pampered and looked after there.

Slanted Door is much bigger and busier but the food is delicious--wonderful flavors. We especially enjoyed the Slanted Door spring rolls and the pork chops. I'm going back next weekend, I can't wait!

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM

I've been to all three; I think you've made good choices and they are quite different from each other. I must admit that the last time I was at Slanted Door it was at the old location on Valencia, so maybe it's changed? I don't know.

Tartine on Guerrero is good for baked stuff. If you find yourself in Hayes Valley you could try the Boulangerie there for lunch or brunch (I think that is the name, on Hayes and Octavia?).

I'd probably go get a burrito in the Mission if I were you. People debate their faves all the time; I like La Taqueria.

Otherwise, if you give some idea of what you're planning to see and where, people can better advise you. For example, if you're going to be in Golden Gate Park near the botanical gardens, I'd say oh, if you're hungry, head over to Arizmendi Bakery on 9th Ave and Irving for cheese bread or pizza. But I wouldn't go across town for it.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 07:28 PM
dmlove

I've been to the "new" Slanted Door and loved it (all 11 dishes that we ordered for 4 people for lunch!) and to the other restaurant owned by A16's owners - SPQR, which we also loved except for the wait at dinner (no reservations). A friend just today mentioned that he thought A16 was fantastic (during lunch at the the new Epic Roasthouse, which was very good, pretty expensive, and beautiful)

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
mjs

I have eaten at all three within the last few years. Gary Danko is excellent and worth the trip. Slanted door is interesting Vietnamese with a California vibe. Excellent wine list. Noisy. Have been to A16 twice and while I think it has an interesting wine selection I was not turned on by the food.
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:22 AM

We were not overly impressed with A16. We were there on a Friday night in March and the noise level alone was enough to make you have second thoughts IF you could hear yourself think.

I would recommend Aqua on California [close to your hotel]. It too was high on the noise level, but the food was really excellent. We did the prix fixe and had a wonderful meal.

For a San Francisco classic, Tadisch Grill [also on California,just a few doors down from Aqua]. Their cioppino was superb. The waiters are surly but it is an experience. It is open for lunch as well as dinner. We sat at the bar and didn't have to wait long. No reservations, so go a bit early to avoid the wait.

Zuni Cafe on Market [16th St ??] was very good too. The roasted chicken salad is a classic dish.

Lastly -- I take it you appreciate good food. Go to Chez Panisse in Berkeley. I cannot say enough about this institution [it is beyond a restaurant]. Alice Waters' approach to using renewable, local, sustainable food was and is inspiring. They have lunch upstairs and dinners both up and downstairs. Reservation needed for downstairs, good idea for upstairs too. You have to call them exactly 1 month to the day to get reservations - call at 9 am California time.

Deb
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:20 AM

We had a business lunch at that steak restaurant downstairs at Omni, all 6 of us would not care to go back.

Walk one block to Sacramento St and eat at Palio restaurant (not the Montgomery st cafeteria, but the restaurant on Sacramento across from Jeanty). Palio is great! Went there both for business and with friends.

As for Jeanty... the one in the wine country is good, I've heard, the one in San Francisco is so-so. Once again, business lunch, 6 people's opinion.
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:25 AM
dmlove

When it comes to restaurant recommendations, what is to one person's taste is definitely not necessarily another person's taste. So, limiting my comments to places that have been mentioned, I'm not a big Palio fan, I think Aqua is okay, but definitely not worth the price, and I completely agree that the Jeanty in the wine country is better than the one in the city!

Old May 1st, 2008, 08:32 AM
SAB

Another person who has been to all 3--Gary Danko, excellent; Slanted Door, very nice and special for visitors if you can get a window table; A16, OK a little overhyped. I prefer Delphina's or Perbacco for this type of Italian.

Lunch recommendations depend on where you are during the day. Many places near the Omni are going to be business lunch kind of place, since it is in the financial district. One place you might look into is Plouf on Belden, which is nearby--Belden has a number of restaurants with outside dining and is fun at lunchtime--most people go to Plouf for their mussels.
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:27 AM

A16 is good, very bustling, loud at times. If their meatballs in brodo have made it onto the regular menu (rather than just on Meatball Mondays), do order. I think their wine list is pretty unique - I've ordered Sicilian and Sardinian wines there and liked them.

Incanto out on Church Street would be my choice for Italian though.

Epic Roasthouse, mentioned by a previous response, is fabulous. It is pretty expensive, even for lunch, but the location can't be beat and the food was terrific. If there are ships moving on the Bay in front of this restaurant, it looks like they are heading straight for the building - it's that close to the water. The chocolate souffle was a highlight - don't order it unless you have at least two devoted chocoholics at table.