COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Recommended Restaurants in Gulf Shores, AL...???

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

My family and I are traveling to Gulf Shores in August. This is our first trip.I've looked at numerous websites, but was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for a good seafood joint. We also love Mexican, but I'm sure that is harder to find in Gulf Shores. Also, is it worth the drive to Flora-Bama? I understand this place is a dive but is it fun? Thanks in advance for any response.....!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Hi, I haven't been to Gulf Shores in 2 years, so I don't know how much has changed since the hurricane. With that being said, there's a place called Lulu's that serves burgers, seafood, etc. It's a cute place with a sand area/playground outside for kids to play while you wait. Lulu is Jimmy Buffet's sister, so there are lots of photos of him, and items on the menu are named after his songs (if I remember correctly). My husband and I ate there last time we were in town and really enjoyed it. If you go, you might want to try for off-peak times b/c it gets really crowded. My husband ate the cheeseburger in paradise and liked it, while I had grilled shrimp (also good). There were lots of seafood restaurants in the area that I can't remember names for but thought were good. I'm sure some others who have been back recently can give more info. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:30 AM

One more thought about GS--I cannot tell you how many times that Lamberts has been recommended to us (I think it's actually in Foley). This is the restaurant where they throw rolls at you. It's very popular and there's always a long wait. We ate there last time as well and had to wait over an hour. After doing it once, I would never wait that long again. The food was good but nothing fantastic. They do walk around with a lot of side items and will constantly fill your plate with those, so I think that makes it a popular place as well. Anyway, I went once and didn't really see what all the fuss was about.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Lulu's is fun but it's outdoor seating, so, even though it has fans, it gets hot this time of year. It is on the International Waterway, so boats can pull up dock right at the restaurant, which can be really noisy. That, and the Looooong wait lines to enter can be a discouragment. We were a large group the first time I went there, and though we called ahead, still had to wait and they could not seat us together.
It comes across and very 'commercial', not a quaint restaurant. There is usually a band in the evenings, so that part makes it fun, and it has sand activities to keep children happy.

Some other suggestions: Zeke's - somewhat upscale dining on the waterway.
?Orange Beach or Perdido.

Louisiana Lagniappe at San Roc Cay (Perdido Beach)They have a website.

The Original Oyster House (I love their Oysters Rockefeller)...this IS in Gulf Shores.

Live Bait... really good boiled shrimp and new potatoes. They have a band in one section (Live Bait II), the other is more family oriented.

The place most recently discovered and I was very surprised to have great food is a little hole in the wall named King Neptune's Steamed Seafood on Hwy 59 heading into GS from I-10.

My sis took me there there last weekend. We observed the HUGE portions being served and decided to split a meal and desert. We were still stuffed, and it was very origianl type food (chef type quality). I believe the place used to be a Colonel Dixie Fried Chicken fast food restaurant, so it is small and not the least bit 'fancy'. We got the spinach crabmeat stuffed snapper which was served with a greenbean/asparagus/?another veggie I can't recall with a delicious thin mushroom type sauce over all and some sort of kashi or couscous as well...delish!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Was just down that way in April and definitely agree with previous posters on this. Lulu's would be great but definitely try to find an off-peak time. We tried to go to dinner in the middle of the week. It was so busy, they looked like they were having a block party in the parking lot.

Also agree with the comment about Lamberts. Food was okay to good and the side items are great. We didn't have to wait to get in as we went there for lunch during the week in the middle of the day in April. I didn't think the food was good enough to wait over an hour to get in though.

Two other places for your consideration is DeSotos (hubby's favorite) and the Bayside Grill. Both had great food and great service.

We went past Flora-Bama. It's definitely a dive. The weekend we were there, they were having the annual "Mullet Toss" I thought this meant they were going to be throwing around rednecks with bad haircuts!!! (Didn't know it was a fish) It did appear to be a partying place though.

Have fun and enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:05 PM

I would highly recommend the Original Oyster House in Gulf Shores. Good service, quality, prices. It's been around forever and has a great reputation.

I just asked this question of "Fairhope" since we are staying at Fort Morgan and driving to Fairhope, Al. for the day. Besides Fairhope ideas, he did recommend the Pink Pony and Shrimp Basket along with Lulu's in Gulf Shores. Mikee's got a bad review recently from one of his friends but we did enjoy it several years ago BEFORE Ivan. I would skip the Flora Bama especially if you're traveling with children (it's a bikers' hangout)and would stick with seafood while at the beach.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Oh yeah, I agree about Lamberts...not worth the time and has noting to do with being at the beach, in my book!

As far as Flora Bama is concerned, it is definitely for the partying crowd! I've never been, but our partying friends that go there are the type that can last 'til 4 AM...certainly not us, though I've been curious about it of late...would like to go one time just to say I've actually been inside.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. I think LuLu's will be a must just because of the Buffet thing. Lamberts doesn't really sound like our kind of place. Will definately consider Original Oyster House, Bayside Grill and King Neptunes. The Flora-Bama is not my usual kind of hang out but like someone else posted, would like to go just to say I've been. I think my husband and I could have a good time there for a while, although we are not 4a.m. partiers either.We are more the 9-10:30 or 11:00 type. We will also go to Hooters, due to the fact that my only son is soon to be 16 and really wants to go there. That should be fun. Any comments on Bahama Bobs? I think this is the nearest restaurant to where we are staying.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Fairhope

Oyster House is always reliable
King Neptunes is good
Lamberts is expensive and hokey
I swear you will not be able to get in LuLu's and its not worth the time and money. Flora Bama- a great dive! If the Sea&Suds still exists it's good for cheap kid food. All the restaurants/delis in San Roc are great

Reviews--http://www.gulf-shores-alabama.net/gulf-shores-restaurant-reviews.html

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Is the Bayside Grill on a marina in Orange Beach? Several years ago, my husband and I ate at a place on a marina in Orange Beach that had seafood dishes with a cajun twist. The food was delicious but I can't remember the name of the place. Bayside sounds familiar but I may be off. If anyone knows where I'm talking about--and I realize my description is sorely lacking--I'd love to know the name of this restaurant. Maybe I'll make it back next summer.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Yes, that sounds right. They are doing a lot of construction and it appears as though some new roads have been put in. I know we took a main road (will have to ask hubby which one) off of the main road in Orange Beach and and took a left about a mile down the road. Bayside sat down on a bay and was on a marina site. Some of the food did have a cajun flavor to it. It's not easy to find. We had to call to get directions. We really enjoyed it.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 02:27 PM

I just read what I wrote and I know my directions make no sense whatsoever. I'll see if I can get more specific directions from hubby for you.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Flora-Bama has something for everyone. Go with an open mind and grab a drink upon entry. You'll love the joint!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 03:16 PM

I thought you turned on the road beside Lambert's to get there...it's been a long time, but I wasn't that impressed.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Fairhope

Bayside Grill is at Sportsman's Marina 27842 Canal Rd.

Not the same place as when you turn at Lamberts to go to Wolfs Bay Lodge a venerable seafood Institution! I know a couple who go there WEEKLY!

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Maybe it is Bayside Grill I'm thinking of. I won't be back in the area until next summer (I hope--new baby in family so our travel life has slowed down a lot right now!) but I do hope to try that again. I'll just have to keep notes on all these great places y'all are recommending so I can try them all. Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 07:46 PM

Oh yeah, Wolfs Bay Lodge...anyway, it wasn't impressive to me.