Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Good restaurants in Springfield, Missouri?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend any non-chain (or local chain) restaurants in Springfield, MO? (And we don't want to drive into Branson.)
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Downtown is the place to go for more upscale dining with great atmosphere. Bijan's (steak and seafood grille) or Nonna's (Italian), Gallery Bistro (steak, seafood, pasta), Gilardi's (Italian), and Izumi Hatake (sushi) are my personal favorites. These are a little more upscale, from $15+ per person, but all well worth it. Rasta Grill is also a great downtown restaurant - think Jamaican Jerk. $12-15 per person. And of course, there's always the Springfield-invented Cashew Chicken - I love Jade East. What do you like to eat? There are also lots of BBQ places and pizza places that are not just fast food. I live here and have lots of recommendations from super-cheap (but authentic) Mexican all the way up. Let me know what you like/what you want to spend, and I'll be glad to help! Also see www.simplydowntown.com or www.itsalldowntown.com - I like the first because it has menus for lots of the restaurants. Click on the icon in the middle of the homepage to get in.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We're traveling with 3 kids, so "upscale" probably won't work. We're from Texas, so probably don't want Mexican. One won't eat Chinese.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:59 AM
iceeu2

How about between Springfield and Branson? In that case, take the kids to Lambert's, home of throwed rolls!

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 01:29 PM

In that case, I would recommend Hemingway's (seafood) inside Bass Pro. There is even a McDonald's in Bass Pro, so if the kids are picky, they can have a happy meal and mom and dad can enjoy real food. The waiters are used to it - they won't give you dirty looks. If you go there, try the seafood nachos - they are my favorite, and you can easily share a half-order and get very full. Also, Bass Pro is a fun place to walk around and look at all the aquariums, etc. The Wonders of Wildlife Zooquarium is adjacent to Bass Pro, and it is wonderful, but be prepared to pay about $13/adult to get in. You could easily spend 2-3 hours there.

I also like McSalty's Pizza. There is one on Battlefield and one on Sunshine - any real Springfieldian should be able to point the way.

Above all else - eat at Andy's Frozen Custard. They have absolutely the BEST ice cream anywhere (and I've eaten a lot of ice cream).They are on Campbell, Sunshine and Glenstone - anyone can direct you.

I would have to disagree with the Lambert's recommendation - I have eaten there several times, and there is always a HUGE wait, lots of tour buses. I think you can get better food without the drive.

If I think of any others, I'll be sure to post.