SF/Palo Alto Restaurant Questions

Jul 24th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

SF/Palo Alto Restaurant Questions

I just realized I dropped the ball a bit in planning our Sept trip. We will be having dinner three nights in SF. I want to eat in Boulevard again and perhaps Betelnut. For the other night, would you recommend Delfina or A16?

Last March, we ate in La Strada in PA. I could be happy going back again. Any other suggestions? We will be there one or two nights.

Thanks everyone!
Jul 25th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Jul 25th, 2009, 10:23 AM

I'm not sure what kind of food you are looking for, but here are a few of my favorites (It's so hard to recommend restaurants, as everyone's tastes are different.)

John Bentley's in Redwood City (not far from Palo Alto) www.johnbentleys.com - I go there for special occasions.

Evvia for Greek-inspired food - www.evvia.net

Fish Market for simply-prepared fresh fish

Gelato Classico for dessert.

Have fun!
Jul 25th, 2009, 02:13 PM

choice between Delfina and A16 is a difficult one. I'd personally lean a bit more towards A16.

We just had a Fodors GTG at the Il Fornaio restaurant in Palo Alto and the food was very good.
Jul 25th, 2009, 03:39 PM

i would not have a problem choosing between delfina and a16.
delfina is consistently good.
a16 is hit or miss.

in palo alto, i would go to tamarine - fabulous modern vietnamese
Jul 26th, 2009, 02:28 PM

I like Tamarine also. Three Seasons is similar in concept and we like it a bit more. Capraccio in Menlo Park is another good standby. If you like Japanese food, Kaygetsu in Menlo Park is an amazing experience...expensive, but very good. You might also like Marche in Menlo Park.

We really like newer place in Town and Country shopping center called Calafia. It is a bit "different" and is quickly turning into a local favorite. The owner is the ex chef from Google. I had one of the best orders of shortribs I have ever had. They have a nice selection of appetizers too.
Jul 26th, 2009, 02:46 PM

A 16 is really overrated in my book. It is very "trendy" and that translates to crowded [tables almost touching] NOISY and a rushed feeling. The mozzerella burrata was excellent, the pizza was good but honestly, there are better.

Don't misunderstand, most poplular places in SF are loud. But if you are going to have to endure loud [with close proximity thrown in] then at least go where the food is special.

Restaurant LuLu has wonderful food, as does Zuni Cafe, Zarzuela and the quintessential Tadich Grill.

Deb
Jul 26th, 2009, 03:05 PM

I like Calafia, too, and the chef is also the ex-chef for the Grateful Dead, who started out in Palo Alto. Right next door is the also new Mayfield Bakery and Café, which specializes in fresh local ingredients and wood fire grill and rotisserie, and has some well-known chefs.

Another restaurant I like, but not during busy times, is Nola. It took me years to finally go there, but I love the crazy paintings, and charming outdoor dining. It's rowdy during bar hours, though. http://www.nolas.com/

A couple other more casual places I like are Coconuts (Jamaican) and Rangoon (Burmese and very inexpensive for lunch in a pretty and calm atmosphere).

And, open 7-11 most days in the summer is perennial Palo Alto favorite, Peninsula Creamery, at the corner of Emerson & High. Good diner food, breakfast, milkshakes and more.

It's fun to walk around University Ave. and check out what restaurants look appealing to you. There are many that are very good. There are also a lot of good restaurants on California Ave., the smaller downtown.
Jul 26th, 2009, 04:22 PM

Ohhh...forgot about Rangoon. I like that one too.

Agree with Kailani about California Ave. Joanie's Cafe is a great place for brekky. The Oaxacan Kitchen on Birch Street is another favorite.
Jul 27th, 2009, 09:50 AM

I haven't been to Tamarine, but loved their now closed sister restaurant in San Francisco, Bong Su. However, everyone I know who has been to all of them recommends Three Seasons as the best of the lot!!
Jul 27th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all - I would say that you've given me food for thought, but I might hear you groan thru my laptop, so I won't!

I've looked at the websites and these suggestions look good. And thanks for the breakfast/lunch suggestions - I'll need that too.

What's Burmese cuisine like?
Jul 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Burmese is like Chinese, with a bit of an Indian flavor. I always get the Kala Hin, which is a vegetable stew with potatoes, cabbage, tomatoes, in a yellow split pea base (healthy). I get the coconut rice which is slightly sweet (I am a vegetarian, but the meateaters like Rangoon, too). At lunch, the $6 special includes soup and an eggroll. The soft peach decor is calming in the Silicon Valley semi-freneticism. It's very good for a casual local place.
Jul 28th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Anybody know when Burmese food became so popular around here? We had a good Chinese restaurant that never had any customers, but I think did a fair take-out business. About a year or more ago, maybe two, they sold to another family, who kept the Chinese dishes on the menu and added a Burmese menu. The place is packed every night of the week. On a Friday or Saturday you can wait a half-hour for a table!
Jul 28th, 2009, 10:57 AM
SAB

sf- Burmese became popular because its different. You know how trendy food is in the Bay Area, lots of people looking for something different; then it becomes too popular and its on to the next new thing. Remember when Slanted Door was this cool, small local place on Valencia; now its a must for every visitor and has lost its cool factor (with some).
Jul 29th, 2009, 08:17 AM

Hey cpg, would you email me at starrsvillega at yahoo? Thanks! A couple of friends have a question for you. Well, three of us have a question for you
Jul 29th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

starrs - just saw this and did.