Reload this Page >

SF XYZ, La Folie, Delfina?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 10:24 AM
cat

Hello, just wondering about what restaurant to choose for a special out-of-towner visit to SF? We are , I guess, "foodies" in a way, but are from Chicago with a lot of great restaurants of its own, so def. don't want an over-hyped restaurarant just b/c it's "hot" and trendy, but want to experience the great restaurant scene in San Fran. Thanks in advance for your help. P.S. the above 3 are three we are thinking of trying.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Susan

I have been to XYZ and Delfina. Delfina hands down!! I'd describe XYZ as being all about the attitude, but Delfina is all about the incredible food. It's my favorite restaurant in a city full of great restaurants. XYZ is a fun atmosphere, would be great for drinks before or after dinner, but doesn't hold a candle to Delfina. Be sure to have the calamari appetizer.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 10:35 AM
oaklander

I agree that Delfina is a superb restaurant, and to stand out in a city like San Francisco is no easy task-but Delfina is great-my favorite place to eat in the city is Boulevard-Chef Nancy Oaks is phenomenal

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Charles

Delfina is okay, nothing to write home about. Being that you are from Chicago, I am afraid that you will find SF's restaurant scene doesn't even compare to that of the Windy City's. A lot of SF restaurants are overhyped and overpriced.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Lucy

I agree that Delfina is a great restaurant but not one I would choose for a special occassion. Delfina is also out of your way if you are not driving, cab ride is about $20 from downtown SF. XYZ is more for the scene and hangout with your guy friends, don't go for the food. La Folie is one of the best restaurants in town that I have tried. It is small, like a hidden away treasure. For this place, go for the food and not the ambience.

If you want something great food and romance, try Fleur de Lys. My all time favorite for special occassions. Soooo romantic!

2nd favs: Lapis is nice. Bonus: Ocean view, but go before it gets dark or else you will admiring darkness instead of the water. Aqua has great food.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 03:55 PM
raisedbrow

Charles,I beg your pardon, San Francisco is an estblished worldwide food capital. Most food critics would agree that SF is not behind Chicago in this category.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:07 PM
lizbeth

Cat,
I haven't been to either XYZ or Delfina, so I can't comment. However, as a devoted follower of good food, I dine out with friends of similar ilk at least once a week. In the past month or so, we've had excellent meals at the following:

Chez Papa
In Potrero Hill. Very popular French bistro from the same management as Plouf (Plouf has been mentioned many times on this board as a good seafood place). The starters menu was full of so many choices that I was tempted to just make a meal of about four of these.

Flytrap
South of Market, on Folsom
Despite its unappealing name, it's an old-time S.F. restaurant that makes good use of seasonal ingredients.

Fringale
Also South of Market, on 4th Street near Brannan(?) French, with Basque touches. Fringale makes a roast rack of lamb so incredibly good that it's hard to resist ordering it each and every time.

Just a few offhand - if you like, I'll search my memory for more.
It's worth it to get out of the downtown/Union Square area for restaurants - take a cab, take the bus, whatever - you'll have a great time.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Charles

Raised eyebrow, SF, a food capital?? Ha ha ha, that's too funny!! The restaurants in SF are good when compared to other mid-sized cities, but to compare SF's culinary scene to that of NYC, Chicago, or other world cities is ludicrous.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:11 PM
Ruby

I live in San Francisco and really enjoy Delfina; the food is great, and it's a warm, comfortable, unpretentious place. But it's more like a great neighborhood restaurant than a special occasion place. I might take my parents who are visiting from out of town, but who have been to SF on several occasions. But if you want a "real" great local restaurant, it could be a good place to go. I don't think it's a big travelor's destination, which for you may make it the real reason to go! Enjoy.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 01:33 PM
Michael

Ask your question on the Chowhound site. You might get a fuller answer.
http://www.chowhound.com/california/...francisco.html