Reload this Page >

Seafood Restaurant in SF

Search

Seafood Restaurant in SF

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Sandy

Seafood Restaurant in SF

My husband and I are planning a trip to San Francisco in July and would like to know where the locals eat (seafood, chinese, mexican).

Old May 5th, 2002, 09:43 PM
Melissa

I always vote for Crustacean or Thanh Long (owned by the same family). The roast crab is divine!

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Mike

seafood:Yabbies, Plouf

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:49 AM
David

Scott's is a great seafood place.

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:41 AM
jan

I think Aqua is the best upscale seafood in the city.

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Mandy

If you like italian seafood, I recomend Caffe Sport in North Beach.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Ada

Farallon for upscale dining- beautiful interior and excellent food!

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:05 AM
kam

Just my opinion, so don't shout, anyone. I think Farallon is totally overrated. The decor is lovely--go for a drink and skip the dinner. Aqua is better but very, very loud and tables close together. One of the rudest waiters I've ever met works at Caffe Sport, but the food was pretty good. Hayes Street Grill serves wonderful seafood but it's a bit out of the way for most tourists.(if you go do have the french fries too) You can find reviews at www.sfgate.com

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Hugh

Scoma's on the wharf for seafood. Looking right out on the water.

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Owen O'Neill

I checked out the interior of Farralon on a recent trip and it is amazing. It's quite pricey so just as well that I didn't plunk down my cash for a meal. Likewise for Ana Mandara at the far end of Ghirardelli Square. It's Vietnamese influenced fusion food but was overpriced for what I got and service was okay but not great. It is, however, a must see interior. YOu literally feel as though you've walked into the outdoor courtyard of some really classy hotel restaurant in 1940's era Vietnam - it's the most impressive restaurant interior i've ever seen and there is a bar with jazz combo so you can just go in to take a gander and have a drink.

Try R&G Lounge for Chinese - it's at the edge of Chinatwon by the financial district. Really authentic food (or seems that way to me - it's by far the best Chinese I've ever had) and very nice atmosphere. Lots of local Chinese business people - not a tourist joint. I also really liked Alma in the Mission District. "Nuevo Latino soul food" is their self described cuisine. I had an incredible Cuban bread salad, some excellent (and inexpensive) scallop seviche, grilled duck breast and corn arepas. A truly great meal and moderately priced (with coffee, no dessert and no alcohol the whole meal was under $35 before tax and tip). This also appeared to be strictly a local crowd. It's also very easy to reach on BART.

Old May 7th, 2002, 07:37 AM
sharon

Local, here...

Seafood - Yabbies, 2237 Polk Street.
Chinese - Great Eastern, 649 Jackson.
Mexican - Tommy's, 5929 Geary.

There are others, but these are the standards.

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Sandy

Thanks for the information. Looking forward to my visit in July. We'll try your suggestions.

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:22 PM
lizbeth

Another vote for Plouf, and another vote for Yabbies - coming from a local.
Plouf is famous for its mussels prepared in about a dozen ways - simmered in anything from a simple white wine broth to a rich and creamy Calvados-flavored stock. My advice is to order one pot of mussels to split between the two of you as a first course, then check out the rest of the menu for other seafood specials.
Yabbie's is very serious about the quality of its raw oysters, and the waitstaff is quite knowledgeable. You can order a platter of about 10 or so different kinds - marvelous how oysters can differ so greatly in shape and taste.
If you like seafood, do indulge in some of the good sushi bars in S.F. Let me know if you'd like suggestions.

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:30 PM
deb

lizbeth,

I don't know about Sandy, but I'd love your sushi ideas!

Old May 7th, 2002, 05:04 PM
sharon

YES! Plouf!

Almost forgot about that one!

Old May 8th, 2002, 11:28 AM
lizbeth

Sushi's a really personal-preference thing with me. Sometimes I want a jolly, crowded place, other times a more intimate and quiet experience. I tend to prefer sitting at the bar.

Ebisu
9th Ave. near Irving. Four chefs behind a big counter, usually a crowd waiting to get in. It's not as good as it was a few years ago, but it's still fun

Hamano
Castro near 24th St.
Four chefs behind a tiny counter! Whimsical preparations, very popular.

Okina
Arguello near McAllister
Very quiet, authentic, austere. You basically eat what the chef-san thinks you should eat.

Ino
Webster near Post
Another very quiet spot, nice for a evening date. The chef can be a little frosty, but his sushi is the equal of some of the best I've had in Japan.

Happy eating, and watch out for that wasabi!

Old May 8th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Sandy

Can't wait to visit your city. Looking forward to eating my way through San Francisco. Quess I'd better add a few extra miles to my exercise routine.
Sandy

Old May 8th, 2002, 04:34 PM
kam

Oh---yes to Yabbies. And another yes to the Great Eastern. I didn't read your first post thoroughly.