Looking for Great Italian restaurant in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking for a wonderful, warm and elegant Italian restaurant in San Francisco area to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. Any suggestions would be great. TIA
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 05:08 PM

Trattoria Contadina - on the corner of Union & Mason. I've eaten there 20+ times and it is always excellent. The service is outstanding and the staff is very welcoming/helpful.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 05:39 PM

Hi Suntan, I would normally suggest Scala's at Union Sq. on Powell St. but I just read a couple of days ago that their head chef was leaving so hesitate to recommend it. However when they have had a change of their head chef in the past the food has still remained wonderful. Their website is: wwwwscalasbistro.com if you want to check it out. Be forewarned it is a noisy restaurant however, as so many restaurants in SF seem to be. I have another restaurant in North Beach that I love but I wouldn't classify it as elegant for a 1st anniversary dinner.

I believe Trattora Contadina is casual and child friendly. I say that as some family members met some friends there recently and they had a total of 3 children with them. All SF residents.

Best wishes to you while you celebrate your 1st wedding anniversary.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 05:45 PM

Suntan:
Try "The Last Supper Club"
1199 Valencia St.
tel 415-695-1199
Call for reservations...reasonalby priced with some of the best Italian food I've had in Sand Francisco. The place is a real hotspot in SF right now so call ahead for reservations. Try the Braised lamb shanks with polenta..mmmmm
Aloha!
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 06:00 PM

Hi Suntan, am I correct that you want a "white tablecloth" restaurant and that you are not especially overconcerned with the price. I ask because The Last Supper Club is casual, not what I would consider elegant. But maybe I am misreading your comments. And I certainly do not mean anything negative to the other posters here that have made suggestions. And perhaps my idea of elegant is different than others.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 06:39 PM

Suntan: There are many fine Italian Restaurants in San Francisco and as a San Francisco Native, I have eaten at most of them. In my humble opinion, there is only one that fits your description and that would be Acquerello; Food...Superb, Service...impeccable, Atmosphere...warm and old world. And, unlike many of those fine restaurants I referred to, it is quiet. You can actually hold a conversation. It is a bit pricey, but, if you can swing it, I think it would be perfect for your special occasion.
Put yourself in the hands of Chef/owner Gresham (sp?) and she will create a special dinner for you for about $70 each, $100 with paired wines. There will be some suprises whether you do the tasting menu or order from the regular menu.
Reservations are essential. The number is (415) 367-5432. Mention that it is your anniversary and co-owner Giancarlo Paterlini will take good care of you.
Happy Anniversary and enjoy your evening in San Francisco.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I would a white tablecloth setting and price is not really an issue. Also, It does not really have to be Italian. Steak or Seafood are also fine. However, my husband is just not into the menus on a lot of the the "Californian/French" restuarants. Thanks again
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 06:58 PM

I happen to really like Trattoria Contadina, but it isn't where I'd go for a 1st anniversary - it's casual and not elegant.

An option if you can't get into Acquerello is Incanto (www.incanto.biz). It's on the 2005 Top 100 Restaurants in the Bay Area list put out by the Chronicle. Also, Delfina is very popular and reasonably priced. It is a hard reservation to get and it will be a very nice meal in a hip yet relaxed environment, but it won't have that elegant feel you may be hoping for. Don't count it out, though.

I just saw your reply about it not having to be an Italian restaurant. That's good to know because good Italian food is not in abundance in SF compared to other types of cuisines. What about the Cal/French is your husband not into? Unfortunately, so much of the cuisine here is california inspired (which to me just means using the freshest ingredients possible) or california french unless you are going to an asian restaurant.

I was going to recommend Boulevard (www.boulevardrestaurant.com). It is a great restaurant meeting all your criteria. It does have somewhat of a cal/French theme, but it also has some asian and other influences. Take a look at the menu and maybe your husband will like it anyway.

For seafood, Aqua is really wonderful - http://aqua-sf.com/. I would also recomend going to the SF Bay Area message board of chowhound.com for more advice.

Another option would be Restaurant Michael Mina in the Westin St. Francis - http://www.michaelmina.net/michaelmina/. There are really soooo many options for you since SF is such a restaurant town. Good luck!!
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 07:07 PM

LoveItaly,

What did you think of the food at Last Supper Club? I heard it just changed ownership and has taken a serious nosedive. I used to like it, but that was a couple of years ago.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 09:21 PM

Food-wise, your best bet would be Delfina, Incanto and A16. However, I would consider these as more casual than an anniversary-dinner type of places. Oliveto in the East Bay is also another good and popular Italian restaurant. I wouldn't even consider any North Beach restaurants, food wise nor for an anniversary celebration.

Aquarello, imho, is actually more French/Italian. However, for an anniversary dinner, this is the one that I would pick, as it does have the elegance and good food (although, not pure Italian) .
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:16 PM
SAB

Another recommendation for Acquerello--if you are sticking with your original question. You might also consider Sociale, which is a quite lovely Italian restaurant in Pacific Heights.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:39 AM
MaureenB

Kuleto's Italian Restaurant in Union Square is a place my sister likes (she's an S.F. native). Haven't been there myself, tho.
Another Italian restaurant we liked personally was across the square from the church where Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggiio were married-- but I can't remember its name, and it may have had a fire recently (big help, huh?).

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:59 AM

MaureenB: Trattoria Volare?

Thisi s a very popular Italian place across from Sts Peter and Paul Church on Washington Square.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 09:43 AM

>>Steak or Seafood are also fine. However, my husband is just not into the menus on a lot of the the "Californian/French" restuarants.<<<

I'm just guessing here - is your husband not an adventursome diner? If his idea of a great Italian dinner is pasta with some red sauce, and veal parmigiana, then my two favorites (that others have mentioned) Delfina & Ideale would not please him. Delfine is not a white tablecloth place, and Ideale is borderline.

I'de vote for Acquerello or Sociale. If you want to stay in North Beach and stick to the more traditional Italian fare, then the "North Beach Restaurant" would be a good choice.

Joltin Joe & Marilyn Monroe did not get married at the church in North Beach - they got married at City Hall.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Suntan

If you really want to impress your husband with your ability to pick an out-of-the-way spot that he thinks only SF residents would know about - dine at Sociale - like SAB mentioned (he/she's a resident - quite knowledgable)

You won't find a tourist or a businessman on an expense account there - mostly locals. It's really a gem. It's nowhere near downtown - way out on Sacramento st. in the exclusive Presidio Heights area. That section of Sacramento St has lots of very upper-end designer shops, antique shops, interesting non-chain stores, and some lovely Victorian houses along Sacramento and the streets north.

Sociale is down a walkway, off Sacramento & back in a hidden courtyard. They have heaters and some outdoor tables in warmer weather (which is rare). You will need the address to find it - you can't see the restaurant from the street. Another restaurant (Magic Flute) is in front of Sociale, by don't make the mistake of going there - walk down the small walkway to the left of Magic Flute.

There have been about 5 different restaurants in that location over the past 30 years. We've gone there for many special occasions. The food is not cutting edge - I go there for the ambience.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:19 AM

Incanto: had dinner there about two weeks ago. The neighborhood is very residential - I love this end of Noe Valley / Glen Park - but keep in mind it's not North Beach with its bars and cafes for after-dining activities. The food at Incanto is very good, very seasonal, and definitely NOT typical. For instance, the dessert we had was a verbena ice - a plate full of granita flavored with lemon verbena. Just about everything at Incanto is house-made - the bread, the cured meats, etc.

How about Antica Trattoria on Polk near Green? Haven't been in about a year, but some of favorite meals have occurred at Antica. It's a quieter, more low-key place compared to A16 or Incanto, and definitely has an elegant but not snooty feel to it.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 06:16 PM

Another vote for Acquerello. My husband and I always save it for very special occasions. It is our favorite
place.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 07:53 AM

Acquerello and Incanta would be my suggestions as well. We're heading to Incanto for a bday dinner this evening.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 02:37 PM

I don't know if it's too late, but I'm going to jump in and recommend "Firenze By Night" in North Beach. My husband and I are both native San Franciscans, and my husband being Italia, well, we're very particular. Authentic food, wonderful service. After dinner stroll over to Cafe Greco's for a "cappuchino con VOV." You won't be sorry. jangig
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:54 PM

If you are looking for a northern Italian restaurant, try Bacco (737 Diamond St. at 24th St.) in Noe Valley. They have a three course prix fixe for $28 Mon. - Thu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -